Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Organic Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/organic-gardening/)
-   -   Poll: Biggest gardening challenge (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/organic-gardening/3220-poll-biggest-gardening-challenge.html)

JennyC 08-06-2009 12:48 PM

Poll: Biggest gardening challenge

What's your biggest gardening challenge (this year)?

A. Not enough Rain
B. Too much rain
C. Too hot
D. Too cold
E. Weeds
F. Critters
G. All of the above
H. Other

JennyC 08-06-2009 12:53 PM

I voted "too much rain," but that was really only in the early spring, when it stayed too wet to dig until it was too late to plant a lot of things. My biggest gardening challenge this year has really been time, with buying a new place, trying to get it ready to move into, packing, etc. But without all that rain in early spring, I'd at least have had more in the garden than peppers, tomatoes, and squash...

joepyeweed 08-06-2009 01:50 PM

I voted other. My biggest gardening challenge is not having enough time to do everything that I would like to do. My rain barrel has settled to one side and needs some leveling. I have bags of other people's landscape waste setting next to the compost pile that need to be shredded.

Japanese Beetles have decimated my jewel weed this year.

The moist cool weather has given me a huge explosion of powdery mildew on the black eyed and brown-eyed susans. I usually have powdery mildew on bergamot and a bit on the brown-eyed. Right now my prairie patch looks like one big blob of powdery mildew. Usually I the PM doesn't bother me.... I just look the other way... but its really thick this year.

The rain has kept the cup plants so moist and full, I had to tie them up. Usually the cup plants are standing tall... when everything else flops.

Equilibrium 08-07-2009 12:27 AM

I have to go with weeds. I swear there are times I feel like I'm bailing out the ocean with a bucket.

havalotta 08-07-2009 12:39 AM

The neighbors cat has been digging mine up lately. I hate her. She runs free and I see her posting in the rocks for her birdy brunch.

JennyC 08-07-2009 06:00 AM

Havalotta, a cat definitely qualifies as a "critter." So do bugs, which is why I chose that term instead of something more specific.

havalotta 08-07-2009 08:03 AM

You covered it all. I voted for them all too.
Something will always be out there to get you either teed off or working, but then again............
When I woke up and looked out of my patio door this morning from my upper level I said to myself.........
SELF........You've got one BEAUTIFUL yard of florals this year.
It's the BEST it has ever been!
And then last night he mentions once again he wants to sell. :ohdear

hazelnut 08-07-2009 08:15 AM

Wees. Too hot. My grounds are over run with Asian wisteria and its too hot to get out there and treat them as often as necessary. Maybe next year.

CincyGarden 08-07-2009 04:31 PM

Too much rain here, lately. Toss up between that and too cold.

Stoloniferous 08-07-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 33857)
And then last night he mentions once again he wants to sell. :ohdear

:( I have much sympathy for you.