Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

View Poll Results: What's your biggest gardening challenge (this year)?
Not enough rain 5 14.29%
Too much rain 4 11.43%
Too hot 2 5.71%
Too cold 2 5.71%
Weeds 11 31.43%
Critters 1 2.86%
All of the above 4 11.43%
Other 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Heron

I voted too hot. If there's not much rain but its not "too hot" then it not that much of a problem. Weeds can be pulled if its not "too hot". Critters can be dwelt with if its not "too hot". All my favorite vegetables like cool weather; peas, beets spinach. But its always "too hot" to grow them. Its "too hot" and sunny here to grow the shade plants I like. etc etc
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

The heat has been so bad, and the bugs have move in, but I'd say weeds wins as worst. I just stomped through the grass trying to see if I had any watermelon big enough to pick.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Carbon

First my garden drown as it was an afterthought this year and planted late. The second planting after the flood did half and half. The basil and corn and spinach and cucumbers and tomatoes did great. The watermelon split and the ones that made it were small. The corn did great and the squirrels loved their share of it. LOL

The orphan pumpkin that just volunteered in my mom-in-law's flowerbed this year was beauty and gave us more pumpkins than we would use. It was a gorgeous plant too but took over the entire bed and some. Didn't hurt the hollyhocks she has planted there.
sybdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Sorry about your plants. They can drown and squirrels do like their fair share of everything. Do you know how to make a pumpkin pie? Pumpkin soup? Have you ever tried baking the pumpkin seeds? There's got to be something you can do with the extra pumpkins.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
WG Writer

My two biggest problems are weeds and getting water to my plants.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I feel for you. We've gone through some intense droughts. I've hauled water too. We had to order a tanker of water one year to save plants. Feast or famine is the name of the game these days with such unpredictable weather.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepyeweed View Post
I voted other. My biggest gardening challenge is not having enough time to do everything that I would like to do.

Japanese Beetles have decimated my jewel weed this year.
I vote also not enough time - true every year.
Also a big challenge: finding a place to plant all those seeds I bought for this year's garden - again true every year!

Hardly saw any Japanese beetles this year. It was actually a pretty good year for me.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Time is always a problem for me. You get home from work and there's so many weeds and so little time or you're home from work sick and you don't feel like doing much of anything except crawling in a hole. It really sucks.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
Carbon

I'm with ya on not feeling like it Equilibrium I do not like pumpkin anything. My mom-in-law got a pumpkin she was going to cut up last year and it fell off the porch and she picked up the thing but not really, just the big pieces and I'm surprised she only got a few plants. I want the seeds to roast out of one of them but I have to wait until she is over decorating with them. They are sitting around the birdbath.

And then I will take out the seed and throw them to the wild animals. I usually take veggies and stuff I don't like to throw out when I go camping. I walk off into the woods and throw it out and sometimes it grows wild and sometimes things eat it and sometimes it rots but it does good I figure at any one of those things. I do not see why I shouldn't be able to find wild tomatoes or such anyway. I like the idea of Johnny Appleseed and I'm more of a Johnny Appleseed and spreading plants around.

I have a couple vegetarian daughters that I think would like some roasted seeds and I think would be good for them if they would eat them. I thought I'd try to make some trail mix too. I'm going to try them again I guess this year, dang free pumpkins LOL
sybdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Don't you have a composter at home for all your food scraps? You neeeeeeeeed one of those. Gardening isn't gardening without your own pot o gold out back.

Tags
biggest, challenge, gardening, poll