Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
WG Writer

Default Planning a Woodlot for your Property

Permaculture Magazine Article From Issue 32

Quote:
Planting a new wood is an exciting project – whether on one’s own land or as part of a community project. Trees are the biggest living things on land, and the longest lived. Decisions made now will stand for decades if not centuries, so it’s worth taking a great deal of care over the design of a woodland.

The Land
Not all places are equally suitable for tree planting, so if you have a choice it’s worth giving careful thought to which areas are best for trees and which for other uses. If you’re thinking of buying land for tree planting it’s impor-tant to survey it carefully first. People have been known to buy land first and find it’s unsuitable for tree planting afterwards.

The worst place to plant trees is on land which already has a rich biodiversity. Wildflower-rich grassland is foremost among these.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
WG Staff

Permaculture magazine has numerous quality articles.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
WG Writer

Ive noticed around here when people plant trees - they tend to be all of the some kind with no attention made to diverse composition.

One guy - a woodworker - planted a bunch of walnut trees. Of course he plans to harvest them for timber. But why not make a forest - that will provide food, nuts, fire wood, and shelter for animals? As well as a place to explore on an afternoon walk?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Grub

I've noticed this, too...neighbors will cut down every tree except the norway maples...the probable reason is the very close proximity to the utility poles/lines. Invasives are basically holding our utilities hostage ("If I go down, I'm taking the cable modem with me!")

Dan
gbreadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

You silly man. How true. Thinking about them from your perspective helps me understand why so many are still standing near powerlines. Who wants to knock out their phones.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
WG Writer

So sad but true, breadman!

Quote:
Invasives are basically holding our utilities hostage ("If I go down, I'm taking the cable modem with me!")
In the meantime our experience of woods is shrinking, shrinking. The animals who lived there are making do without their home - moving into human neighborhoods where they are not welcome.

Tags
planning, property, woodlot