Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

And both Xerces and Monarch Watch include non-natives in their recommended things to plant. There is no consensus out there in the world about natives being absolutely essential. At least more and more people are planting natives in addition to their other plants, which in my opinion is as good as we are ever going to get. We can't put the genie back in the bottle for most of the non-natives that have naturalized, and need to pick our battles on fighting the really bad ones. One of my good friends just planted English Ivy around her new pond, by her new house built in the woods next to watershed conservation land. I had a fit at her, spent a long time discussing why it was an incredibly bad idea, but it is still there. I think I am going to "accidentally" drip some round up on it one of these days before it gets established...

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Alternate POM Judge

I agree that natives are ideal turttle but I also agree we will never have all natives. Hopefully that will at least improve as the word spreads. English ivy is awful. I have it in my hedgerow and need to work on it. I did pull it off the trees back there. I guess you couldn't convince your friend to plant something else. I was horrified that my friend lets house sparrows nest in her bluebird box. She said well they won't hurt anything. I don't have any bluebirds around. Just what we need more house sparrows.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
At least more and more people are planting natives in addition to their other plants, which in my opinion is as good as we are ever going to get...
I agree. I'm thrilled that there is more awareness to planting natives. I hope this continues to improve...and I agree, it is as good as it will get.

I don't expect people to plant exclusively native plants--that is my personal project (aside from crops). Although it is unlikely, I do dream that once it starts coming together, that it will be an inspiration for others to try it.

Quote:
We...need to pick our battles on fighting the really bad ones...
Yup, you are right.

At the same time, I see no reason to plant non-natives purposely...they are out in the roadsides and beyond anyway, so anything that eats them still has a source--can the same be said for things that depend on native plants for food (especially those that have plant-specific diets)?

Quote:
I think I am going to "accidentally" drip some round up on it one of these days before it gets established...
No comment.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I was horrified that my friend lets house sparrows nest in her bluebird box. She said well they won't hurt anything. I don't have any bluebirds around. Just what we need more house sparrows.
Perhaps printing off some photos of the damage they do and showing them to her, might drive the point home. (If you feel it won't damage your relationship.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
chichory's country of origin: http://www.everwilde.com/BONAP-Wildf...bution-Map.gif

I'm glad I said something. Thanks. My goal is that anyone seeking information on native plants, not be misled or confused. What they do with the information is up to them--I didn't expect you to pull it out!

I am trying to nip mine in the bud...I agree that I don't want mine to get out of hand. For now, I tend to make sure the non-natives don't go to seed, then I'll have to figure out how to remove them--I don't want to use herbicides. If I can't pull it out, I'll likely smother it.
On a bit of a different note:
I had ONE (Very invasive!) loose strife plant take up residence in my yard. I decided to keep it because I so loved it's yearly spray of bright purple spikes. Year after year I made sure to cut off it's floral stalks to take inside to admire so it would not have the opportunity to go to seed and spread along the shoreline.

When I had told you about that, Do recall what you had said to me? I recall your comment as if it was yesterday.
"Who's going to remember or even know that the top off of that plant should be cut off before it goes to seed after you die?

You speak out against the non natives (Thank you), now I'm giving you, the
gogetem anripemout or you'll be sorry......This years dandelion-like rosettes will be next years Goliaths.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
One of my good friends just planted English Ivy around her new pond, by her new house built in the woods next to watershed conservation land. I had a fit at her, spent a long time discussing why it was an incredibly bad idea, but it is still there. I think I am going to "accidentally" drip some round up on it one of these days before it gets established...
Oh no!!! Here's my suggestion on how to change the situation for the better: Offer up a native alternative. I am guessing that she is looking for a vine and that's why she picked English Ivy. I suggest Clematis virginiana as a vine substitute.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Oh no!!! Here's my suggestion on how to change the situation for the better: Offer up a native alternative. I am guessing that she is looking for a vine and that's why she picked English Ivy. I suggest Clematis virginiana as a vine substitute.
Much more diplomatic than the accidental drip.

...however, I have to assume that she may not be willing to remove ivy if she feels she already spent money on it and would view it as throwing it away.

Good luck.

At least the native clematis has flowers in its favor...hope she is not set on an evergreen.

Tags
annuals, fall