Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden

The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden
by Sarah
TheHealthyHomeEconomist
January 23, 2013

The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden | The Healthy Home Economist
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Seed catalogs are starting to arrive in mailboxes across the Northern Hemisphere with home gardeners everywhere starting to plan which seeds they will sow in their spring gardens.

A positive trend in recent years is the growing number of gardening enthusiasts choosing to plant gardens using organic and/or heirloom seeds.

What most of these home gardeners donít realize is that corporate behemoth and GMO titan Monsanto has been gobbling up the seed market faster than a caterpillar can munch a tomato plant! With one fell swoop in 2005...
Old 12-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Gag me.... I just read some of the comments and found this, "Seeds of Change was purchased by Mars which donated almost 400k to defeat Prop 37 in California. They donated more money than most of us earn in several years to make sure the people of California didn’t have the ability to know whether Monsanto’s toxic crap ended up in our food.
http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/Campaign/Committees/Detail.aspx?id=1344135&session=2011&view=late1
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_37,_Mandatory_Labeling_of_G enetically_Engineered_Food_%282012%29
So no, I don’t believe for a second that Seeds of Change believes in our cause. I think they’re “green washing”, it’s actually a huge problem for me that they were allowed to sign the Safe Seed Pledge given their ownership. Their parent company is just as in bed with Monsanto as Pepsi and Kraft Foods."
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Fox

pawprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Gag me...
Nice catch there Equilibrium, I thought it quite interesting to check out the CA Attorney General's page with all the really heavy hitters listed, repeatedly donating.

ww
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

I've been purchasing from Baker Creek, which I know is unaffiliated with Monsanto. Beyond them, it feels like one walks the edge of a steep cliff in purchasing seed.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I know what you mean.... it's gotten so bad we have to follow the $$$ before we buy seeds. FWIW.... Heirloom Seeds has zip nadda no affiliation with BigBiotech either, HEIRLOOM SEEDS - over 1450 varieties of heirloom (non-hybrid) seeds including heirloom vegetable seeds, heirloom flower seeds and heirloom herb seeds.. They're safe to buy from and although their website isn't as flashy as Baker Creek's.... their prices are better and at over 1400 different varieties of seed.... they're definitely my favorite.

Tags
garden, monsanto, required, steps