Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #51
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

So....In a nutshell, a wicking bed is...
A trench with a layer of whatever waterproof material you choose laid across it's base and sides
add a few rocks to hold it in place then cover with the wicking material of your choice with the excess flowing over its edges
Add a layer of rocks (The water retaining area) and a drain slightly above that IF it is completely encased
Then fold the excess wicking material over and across the rocks completely encasing them, and top it off with soil and plants

Thank you wildwatcher, That sounds easy enough to create!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #52
Fox

pawprint Even the fancy wicking beds need not cost a lot of money

Yes havalotta, your nutshell seems right too me! ~~~Make sure your wicking material, extends all the way to the bottom of the ditch, so the thing will continue working even if it isn't 'full' of rainwater.

I would mention how affordable these things can be as I have demonstrated, the 'el-cheapO' version, there is a good amount of heavy labor involved, but I think it was worth my time. Don't forget there is lots of useful information (hyperlinks) at the very start of this thread, about properly made wicking beds, with filler pipes and guages, and float valves, and other special tips for the installers.

I have an over-abundance of rocks laying around but some folks might have some extra pipe in their area, or maybe non-oily car parts, cinder blocks, bricks, pottery pots, just about anything,-inert- that is substantial enough to hold up the upper layer of dirt, and your weight, while walking on it.

But I like the practice of using rocks, which seems closer to natural, long lasting, and no obscure side effects 200 years from now. These are the same rocks that were already in the dirt, I just re-arranged them a bit!

The main reason I made these wickingditches was because I noticed the moisture content of the dirt down in the bottom of the nearby ravine. Always a good amount of ground water, even during the drought of 2012, and these wicking installations are making a dramatic improvement in soil moisture up here on the ole dry clay-gravel ridge.

ww
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #53
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They sound like a real good remedy for dry areas.
I would have never thought of going that route (Although I've often used wicks (Shoestrings and such) in my potted plants) but thanks to you, now I've an option to try should the need ever arise.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, wicking, wickingditch, wickingoncontour