Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Just when you thought you were safe from pantyhose...

Ha ha ha.... check this out,
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Supposedly.... this works. I know people who do this after the vines get going and swear by it. I'm gonna try it this year. I'm tired of squash vine borers. I can't see where it would take longer than a coupla minutes tending to each squash and pumpkin plant. And.... you don't have to use pantyhose. I'm thinking any scrap stretch fabric would work and that probably includes old t-shirt material cut into strips.

adding something on squash vine borer, http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=804, "Or use BTK. This is where I assure worried Emily that BTK is indeed organic and non-toxic; one of the oldest organic pest controls, in fact. Sold under brand names like Dipel, Thuricide and Green Step, this form of Bt ONLY kills caterpillars that munch on the sprayed plant part; it affects nothing else. So spray the vines once a week and there will be BTK on the stem when that hungry, hungry caterpillar comes out and starts munching.

Or just wipe the stems every five days vigorously with a damp cloth and wipe away the eggs. An Auburn University researcher found this tip in a farming book from the 1890’s, when even now-ancient remedies like BT were still half a century in the future! Wiping with BTK or insecticidal soap should be even better.

Once the season is underway, carefully inspect each vine once a week; don’t wait for wilting! If you see a hole near the soil line and that distinctive greenish frass (bug poop) that the borers push back out of their comfy new home, slit the vine with a razor blade and find the caterpillar inside. We will now flash forward to you later heaping compost-rich soil over the damaged part of the vine. (Remember—no laughing like The Joker!)

Or inject the attacked vine with BTK. Or
beneficial nematodes; these microscopic garden helpers love to prey on tasty caterpillars, and the moist inside of the vine will protect the nematodes as they go a’ hunting. You’ll find garden syringes sold for injecting nematodes and BTK at some garden centers and by mail order." Just an FYI.... if you have problems with these pests.... it'd be worth your while reading that whole article.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

I was about to run out and try it, but on second thought, I'm worried about baking the plants with the foil.

Know of anyone in a warm climate who does this?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Heron

You better watch out or you might get your old moniker back!
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

You!!!! You're to blame!!! I just took a look and guess what.... I'm the pantyhose princess again!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You!!!! You're to blame!!! I just took a look and guess what.... I'm the pantyhose princess again!!!
I'm Sorry
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Liar liar pants on fire.... no you're not.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

biig> "I was about to run out and try it, but on second thought, I'm worried about baking the plants with the foil." I dunno anyone in a warm climate who does this but.... I know people by me who do it and our summers get pretty nasty.... we're talking humidity and 100 in the shade. Tinfoil reflects which is why it's not baking the squash. Think of all the people driving cars who used to put those panels in their front windows that looked like tinfoil covered sheets of cardboard. I think you should try it... be brave.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

The picture DID show it shiny-side out. Maybe I'll try it on one or 2

Tags
aluminum foil, borers, foil, insect control, pantyhose, pest control, protect, protected, protection, safe, squash, squash plant, squash vines, stem, thought, wrap