Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Good time to plant seeds for fall crop of beets, collards, kale, and kohlrabi?

When is the best time to plant seeds for a fall crop? I'm just south of the New Hampshire border but on the coast. Thanks for any suggestions.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Fox

The Old Farmer's Almanac puts you mid-July to mid-August. From my experience, I'd go earlier rather than later in that range, if you have adequate moisture. Which means... get busy!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Just read the packets as to when they mature and count back from your FIRST expected frost date to see if there is enough time for them to mature. Some of the more hardy veggies like brussels and the koles (Sp.?) can take a few frosts to boot and actually become more sweet!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Just read the packets as to when they mature and count back from your FIRST expected frost date to see if there is enough time for them to mature. Some of the more hardy veggies like brussels and the koles (Sp.?) can take a few frosts to boot and actually become more sweet!
What ABOUT KOHLRABI AND COLLARDS? DO THEY ALSO GET SWEETER AFTER THE FIRST FROST?? BROCCOLI?

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Heron

I'm also sowing for fall this year. Peas (one of our favorites) need to go in asap since they take longer to mature in fall than in spring. I've already sown cabbage, but that takes a while, 90-100 days. I'm sowing turnips and kohlrabi the last weekend in July (next week already...yikes!). I agree with Benj1 that now would be a good time to start!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Heron

magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
What ABOUT KOHLRABI AND COLLARDS? DO THEY ALSO GET SWEETER AFTER THE FIRST FROST?? BROCCOLI?
Yes, I believe so, for kohlrabi and broccoli. Unfortunately I don't know anything about collards.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
I'm also sowing for fall this year. Peas (one of our favorites) need to go in asap since they take longer to mature in fall than in spring. I've already sown cabbage, but that takes a while, 90-100 days. I'm sowing turnips and kohlrabi the last weekend in July (next week already...yikes!). I agree with Benj1 that now would be a good time to start!
Thanks, Bee, I'll get right on it.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Collards - from a County Agent in North Carolina
Harnett County: October 24, 2008 - Ask The Hort Agent

Quote:
Collard leaves taste sweeter after a frost, because they protect their leaf tissues from freezing by converting some stored starch into soluble sugars. The presence of the dissolved sugar lowers the temperature at which the plant sap will freeze by several degrees. Most people prefer the flavor of greens with increased sugar content.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

Everything I find says broccoli, kohlrabi and collard taste sweeter after a frost.

From Botanical Interests - not my first choice as a "source" because they sell seeds, but here's a list that might be useful for newbie gardeners.

Quote:
Light Frost - Temperatures 28-32 degrees F
Hard Frost - Temperatures below 28 degrees F.

Likely damaged by light frost: Beans, cucumbers, eggplants, muskmelon, New Zealand spinach, okra, peppers, pumpkins, summer squash, sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon, amaranth, and winter squash (plants).
Can withstand light frost: Artichokes, beets, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chinese cabbage, endive, lettuce, parsnips, peas, swiss chard, escarole, arugula, bok choy, mache, and radicchio.
Can withstand hard frost: Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, onions, parsley, peas, radishes, spinach, turnips, leeks, and sorrel.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

We had rain over night and light rain on and off all day...so, I took the time to plant several things for the fall. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any kohlrabi seeds left. I even checked out the seeds still on display at a local grocery store--no kohlrabi... ...but I did pick up a packet of "short and sweet" carrots that I thought I'd give a try.

Every year I say I'm going to focus more on the vegetable garden and do better than last year...and yet, I'm still basically doing a half-assed job...okay, maybe I was a LITTLE better this year maybe it is a 6/10ths-assed job.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beets, collards, crop, fall, good, kale, kohlrabi, plant, seeds, time