Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Malabar Spinach - Basella rubra

Has anyone grown this vegetable? Eaten it? Juiced it?

I purchased a small plant today and was told that it was an aggressive vine, which was music to my ears as I eat a lot of spinach and going out and picking my own fresh is something I look forward to.
'
There isn't much information online about the plant except that it is unrelated to spinach but just as nutritious. I plan on juicing this along with kale etc. Has anyone experienced it?

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

I was at the Master Gardeners Demonstration Gardenens one day when someone asked about that plant. It was gorgeous and edible too. A salad veggie we can grow past March.

I've been considering ordering some seeds, so I'll eagerly await your responses.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I was at the Master Gardeners Demonstration Gardenens one day when someone asked about that plant. It was gorgeous and edible too. A salad veggie we can grow past March.

I've been considering ordering some seeds, so I'll eagerly await your responses.
My plant is about twelve inches tall and climbing. It is said that on hot days with adequate moisture applied to the soil that it can grow a foot in a day, though It hates a chill. A real tropical plant, it grows fast and furiously in the heat of the summer and then flowers. the key is to harvest what you will eat before it flowers, as the flowering changes the taste of the plant. I will give reports and i'LL take pictures as well.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I have never grown it.... I've never even heard of it before. Do you know if it seeds around? I'm thinking I'd REALLY like to try this REAL bad. This is a good find jack!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I have never grown it.... I've never even heard of it before. Do you know if it seeds around? I'm thinking I'd REALLY like to try this REAL bad. This is a good find jack!!!
Equil, as soon as it starts to climb the circular linked fence I have it enclosed in, I'll take a picture. As a vegan, I'm looking for ways to cut down my organic food bill. This vine has the reputation of being super aggressive, growing as much as 12 inches a day when the temp is high and the grower remembers to water. It has all of the nutrition of real spinach, and the reports are that it taste good too, with the added benefit of increased fiber. If this is a go, I'll be a happy camper!!! Presently, I figure I'm spending 40 or more dollars a month on spinach. This vine cost me 5 dollars at a local all organic farmer's market.

BTW Equil, I haven't forgotten the picture I promised of the massive elm tree a few houses down from me. School ends Friday. I'll take a picture then and post it.There's not a blemish on this tree, and it is a matriarch!

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I'd like to see your photos. I'd like to know how exactly you're growing it too. This is a plant I'd like to try growing. I just don't know exactly where to stuff it.
--
A photo of the elm tree would be way cool. If you can pull it off with permission from the owner.... I'd REALLY like some of the seed from that elm tree. About 15 seeds would be good. 3 for me and 3 a piece for some friends of mine who'd like to try growing it.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'd like to see your photos. I'd like to know how exactly you're growing it too. This is a plant I'd like to try growing. I just don't know exactly where to stuff it.
--
A photo of the elm tree would be way cool. If you can pull it off with permission from the owner.... I'd REALLY like some of the seed from that elm tree. About 15 seeds would be good. 3 for me and 3 a piece for some friends of mine who'd like to try growing it.
I can do all of that. On the seeds, however, I would have to look around under the tree as the lowest branch is way beyond anyone's reach. It's a big, healthy tree! When exactly do American elms seed?

Severe thunder storms are predicted tomorrow and, indeed, for most of the week. But I'm sure I can find a calm hour to take those pictures.

The Malabar spinach hasn't grown as rapidly as I was told it would. I think I'll goose it with some seaweed fertilizer when it's not raining. It'
s in rich soil, so maybe it needs a push. It is growing, though it si still quite small. I got it as a small three inch vine.

Oracle at Delphi
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

The elms I used to have bloomed early.... usually in April sometime and then the seed followed shortly after in May. You might have missed being able to collect seed this year unless you can find some laying on the ground somewhere. That seed will blow and it can be a coupla hundred feet from the parent plant. Look on the opposite side of the tree from prevailing winds but I wouldn't go on an all out hunt for it. It's not a biggie if you don't find any.... the birds and squirrels used to gobble it up around here almost as fast as it hit the ground and.... there's always next year.
--
Nothing ever grows for me as advertised either. I've come to expect that. I'm still interested in trying that Malabar plant because of its upright growth form.

Tags
basella, elm, elm tree, fertilizer, grow, growing, growth, malabar, malabar spinich, rubra, seed, seeds, spinach, upright