Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Organic Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

Talking

There are only 40 domestic Organic Certifiers, according to the USDA site. There's even an application if you want to apply to become a Certifier.

Here's the official USDA info on Certification. I gave you the other one because the rules for each type of certification was easier to find. But nooooo, you have more questions. . . .

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO&navtype=RT&pare ntnav=AGRICULTURE

Last edited by biigblueyes; 02-28-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: because I can
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Not good enough

Here's one for you. Why oh why oh why are organic gardeners allowed to be certified if they use products formulated with nicotine sulphate? Nicotine sulphate is natural but it is also highly toxic. And what about non-discriminatory products like diatomaceous earth or rotenone?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
WG Facilitator

Because they didn't ask you before they made their rules, that's why. You would have set them straight!

You're asking ME? I'm an organic wanna-be, remember? I don't know nicotine sulphate from any of those other chemical names on the backs of bags or boxes.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

I'm an organic wannabe too. I don't know that I want to use some of the chemicals those people approve for use. Their other practices seem sound. I've been gardening for many years. It grounds me. I haven't been organic gardening for years but I think I'm more organic than some of the organic gardeners from what I have been learning about chemicals they routinely use.

No till is new to me. Makes total sense.

Have you ever heard of Jeff Lowenfil's book 'Teaming with Microbes'? You might like it.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
Too Wild To Garden

Oooh, thanks for the answers everyone! (And by all means keep discussing! I am fascinated if a bit too sleepy to have anything to add!)
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Have you ever heard of Jeff Lowenfil's book 'Teaming with Microbes'? You might like it.
I probably would - I found a review and liked it. Naturally, our library doesn't have it . . . .

I went to check out the new location of our Donation Garden, and I spent a good bit of time talking to the new Gardener (as opposed to Volunteer). This is my second time around with this group, and this time, I'm impressed. They're 100% organic. He puts a handful of good compost in the hole with each seedling. He talks about microbes in the soil. He seemed glad to have someone there to help who'll actually show up more than once a month, who's older (picture hippies in grad school - that's the majority of this group) and knows how to make plants grow, instead of just having grand ideas.

I think I'm rambling again. Must be bedtime.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
knows how to make plants grow, instead of just having grand ideas.
Don't waste yourself on them. Come up by us. No hippies in grad school with grandiose ideas here. We're all certifiable though. You'd fit right in.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

Can't we meet in-between? I don't want your tundra, and you don't want my oppressive heat/humidity and hurricanes. How about Arkansas? We can all move there. Stolon, you'd have lots of rocks to move around there too.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

How about TN?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
Big Fat juicy WORM

Quote:
Why oh why oh why are organic gardeners allowed to be certified if they use products formulated with nicotine sulphate?
Because it's rarely used. I say once again! Just because it says it's organic does not mean it isn't toxic!
You need to do your homework before you use these things.
Organics have their share of "nukes". Rotenone is another one that comes to mind. Would I use this in and around my veggies? I don't think so.....
Both of these are mention in the IPM (Integrated Pest Management)guides as ok to use, btw.
I wouldn't even consider using them on flowers, which everybody seems to think it's ok to use non organic methods. Scratching head, I don't get that....you handle the flowers, you smell the flowers, you have physical contact with them, and you're gonna use chemicals and handle these bare handed/bare armed??? What is wrong with this here picture?

Tags
certified organic