Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
WG Staff

opossum What animal is always hungry, only comes out at night, and has been on Earth since...

What animal is always hungry, only comes out at night, and has been on Earth since the time of the Dinosaurs?
http://www.wildliferescuecenter.org/Opossum%20Tales.pdf
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That would have been a lot harder to guess at had you omitted the cute little face in your entry. CUTE little buggers...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Heron

Cute is in the eye of the beholder, I've seen a few as big as foot long and they like to feed at night so sightings are few. I've been putting out critter mix which contains sunflower seeds, peanuts and field corn kernels. The peanuts/sunflower seeds are the squirrel/bird favorites but the dried dent corn seems to linger which I thought the non-cultural creatures of the night would find the whole kernels to be a treat. Now if the corn comes in a bird mix it's cracked corn and goes fast. Apparently even the rabbits pass on the dent corn if there's something else they prefer. I bought 10# of buckwheat and 5# of Wisconsin Number 7 [silver king] for the wildlife but if the yellow kernels doesn't even temp the opossums will the silver king be any better? I expect the Buckwheat will be a good nectar source for bees and it's probably good rabbit food too.. I was planning on letting both the corn and buckwheat mature in the wildlife corridor and supply food for the animals who over-winter here.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Sorry but I'm not sure if you're liking the possums or not by the way it was stated.
If so....You can attract them by tossing just about ANY food scraps from the table into a small dish the same way as you'd feed a dog.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

sprucetree> "Cute is in the eye of the beholder" My eyes tell me they're so ugly they're cute!!! The little 1s are more adorable than little skunks!!! I had 1 on my kitchen counter last year and got a good look at it when I was feeding it. They sorta melt your heart even if you're like me and don't like little thingies.
--
hava> he's putting out "goodies" for em so he must like em like we do.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Heron

I do like seeing the only Marsupial's species in N.A. and happily co-exist with them, Even though they don't really help propagate native plants like the squirrels and birds do. They can be destructive if they find a way to get in your chicken coop according to a story I heard that a possum had killed a chicken and then was found sleeping in the hay,,Strange story to be sure. Another situation that I ran into with an adult opossum was when I was walking my Alaskan Malamute years ago he grabbed an opossum by the neck and shook it. I pulled him away and noticed how they play dead. That was revealed as I took the same path back and the "dead" possum was gone. When they play dead they lie on their back and the tongue hangs out also showing a full mouth of very sharp looking teeth, They say possums have very small brains but my dog must not have a very big brain either after that.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I found an opossum I thought was dead out in the back yard. I went back in my garage to get something to pick it up with before my dogs found it and couldn't remember exactly where I'd seen it but.... I knew I'd seen a dead opossum for sure. That's when I spotted the blotch of white making its way off toward the woods. My husband was amused after I told him I walked around the whole house trying to remember where I'd seen it. They do lay on their backs but I didn't walk close enough to see if its tongue was hanging out. All I wanted to do was move it over by where the vultures hang out before it started attracting flies or my dogs. I have 1 healthy looking opossum that visits my composter late at night. I doubt it's much older than a year or so. Every once in a while when it triggers our motion lights I'll get up and go peek at him. I'm pretty sure he's a "regular" visitor because I used to find his footprints in the snow around the back door.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
WG Facebook Administrator

I do think opossums are cute. However, I remember once running across a dead one in the street when I wasn't expecting it, and my first thought was that it was an enormous dead rat. Gave me quite a shudder.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
Heron

If I remember correctly the possum prints look like raccoon, little hands with four fingers and a thumb. It's very similar but the opossum drags it's tail in the snow. They don't travel far for food either. They certainly have adapted to cleaning up and breaking down our thrown out chicken bones and half eaten hamburgers. Cars are probably their main predator since they are fond of small roadkill.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Muskrats can also be mistaken for rats.
I recall an incident with the neighbor one time. He was whacking away at something behind his shrubs out front. Out pops a poor little muckrat! I felt so sorry for the little fella. I stopped the guy mid swing and explained to him what it really was. I don't know if he had made any contact with it or not but it fled to the next bush while the guy wasn't paying attention to the area whilst in conversation. GOOD!
The little guy made a break for it and escaped hopefully unhurt.

Tags
animal, animals, earth, hungry, marsupial species, marsupials, muskrat, night, opussum, play dead, possum, possum footprints, possum tracks, scavengers, small animals, small wildlife, tracks, wildlife