Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
WG Staff

squirrel Purple Squirrel Found in Pennsylvania

Purple Squirrel Found in Pennsylvania
By John Marsh, AccuWeather.com Staff Writer
Feb 8, 2012; 8:39 PM ET

No Explanation for Pennsylvania's Purple Squirrel
excerpt from above:
Quote:
A purple squirrel was found in Jersey Shore, Pa., on Sunday, by Percy and Connie Emert.

"We have bird feeders out in our yard, and the squirrels are constantly into them," said Jersey Shore resident Connie Emert. "My husband traps them and then sets them free elsewhere so they don't get into your bird feeders."

Emert said she had spotted a purple squirrel on her property but no one believed her...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Cool...I drive past the Jersey Shore exit on my way to visit family. I've always thought it was a strange name--especially since it is no where near Jersey.

As for the squirrel, my first guess was that it was dyed--or as they stated, fell into something that dyed it.

However, this theory caught my eye:
Quote:
Krish Pillai, a professor at Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, commented that "This is not good at all. That color looks very much like Tyrian purple. It is a natural organobromide compound seen in molluscs and rarely found in land animals. The squirrel has too much bromide in its system possibly from all the bromide laced frack water it's been drinking. I would raise the alarm. This could mean bladder cancer for humans down the road."
That is rather depressing...but if it turns out to be the cause, this could be the canary in the coal mine.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
However, this theory caught my eye: That is rather depressing...but if it turns out to be the cause, this could be the canary in the coal mine.
Caught my eye to hope they test it to rule out such a thing or use it as a poster child against fracking. Or its the next big pet purple squirrels just like how they used to dye chicks for Easter.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

OMG! They better get a grip on that fracking issue fast! May I suggest that any corporate entities or politicians who favor fracking, immediately start demonstrating its safety by drinking eight quarts of the chemicals used for fracking every day for the next year! And their families, their children, etc.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
found, pennsylvania, purple, squirrel