Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

Uh oh.... we kiss our chickens and we handle our day olds. Does this mean we're dead and we don't even know it yet? Just teasing with ya since salmonella bacteria really are incredibly widespread but.... I'll for sure ask the vet from the Department of Ag whuzup since this was all I could find in the news, Mail-Order Chickens Trigger Salmonella Outbreak, CDC Says - Bloomberg!!! Vets are always more in the know on "stuff" like this than our kids' pediatrician!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #42
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I found one of the articles about chickens - Illinois, Ohio areas
Salmonella outbreak tied to chicks; 93 ill

The ability of officials to identify and trace outbreaks is improving. But there may also be a real increase in salmonella cases from chicks that's driven by the increasing popularity of backyard flocks, said Casey Barton Behravesh, a CDC veterinary epidemiologist.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh..... thank you thank you thank you for adding that. We're all hand washers here which does help. What's nice about that article is that all these cases have been traced back to a Mount Healthy Hatcheries. I was gonna poke around tomorrow a little bit when I went to work before asking if there might be a new strain out there but looks like it's the same ole same ole floating around. If there's any increase.... it's gonna be because Privett Hatcheries has been having "issues" with a strain of salmonella and now this is the 2nd year in a row Mount Healthy Hatcheries shipped out chicks carrying another known strain of salmonella. Why their state departments of ag aren't calling in the big dogs is beyond me. Me.... I'm moving toward a closed flock because of crap like this so I'll be done buying day olds by next year about this time and I'm sticking to the hatcheries I've been buying from. We're sorta attached to the chickens we keep and who needs the grief!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Glad to hear that, Lib! Also, I meant to mention earlier that buffalo and Amherst, the town I'm in, plus others in the area are sanctioning the raising of chickens in backyards! No roosters though! It would be nice if people could get their eggs from a neighbor, don't you think?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

I do think it's a good idea giving families a helping hand by lifting the ban on backyard flocks. I know there's a lot of folk who wouldn't want a bunch of free range roosters going off next door to them at the crack of dawn so no roosters in a residential setting seems fair. Folk can always borrow a rooster for the day. The sperm stays live for 30 days inside the hens.
--
I think sharing eggs with neighbors would be cool. Our 1 neighbor's on kidney dialysis and they've been going through a lot of eggs lately because of it. Our only rooster died so we can share eggs with them if they're interested. I told him to walk over and pick some up. He'll probably grab a few cartons next time he's over here for something else.

Tags
alert, gross, hope, injured, injured turtle, injury, recovery, release, rescue, rescued turtle, road, saved, spca, turtle, turtle rescue, turtle shell, turtles, wildlife, wildlife rescue