Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
For what it's worth.... I think it's probably a good idea hanging a tin can on your belt with some pebbles in it when you're hiking alone or maybe some bells on big safety pins. I've got a little jingle bell thingie I keep in my car all the time. Even when I go with hava because.... there are times when we can go long stretches without talking and I believe most animals will scatter even if they've got young if they know you're headed their way.... well.... most maybe... not all. I don't know if a moose with a calf would. It'd probably sit there chewing it's twigs watching us as we got closer and closer. I think a moose would try to peg us if we got too close to where she was resting with her young.
--
Bulu> I don't know. Haven't a clue. I've never run across anything like those metal cages before. Were there ever any military installations in that area? I don't suppose you can remember the name of the campgrounds where those were? Maybe a quick call could solve the mystery.
Haven't you heard that one of the consistently present ingredients in grizzly bear scat is little bells???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Chuckle....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

jack's making funnies!!!!
--
I do have something funny that I heard from this guy who was a pilot in Alaska. He used to take weekend warriors out on the land package portion of their trip for a fee when he was younger. So he drops off these two guys then takes off into the wind and circles around heading back. While flying over the drop off location.... he glances down and sees one of the manly men thrashing around on the ground so he turns around thinking the guy's having a seizure. He lands the plane.... rushes over by the guy since he's the local pilot, postmaster, and paramedic and.... are you sitting down.... finds out the guy had started spraying himself with the bear spray like it was mosquito spray and had his buddy spray the parts of him he couldn't reach himself with the can. I guess he grabbed the guy's legs and told his buddy to grab the rest of him and they carried him over to the water and dumped him in. He then left since he had to get back so he could sort mail. That's one of those... "here's your sign" stories.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Fox

Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Grizzly Kills Man on Trail in Yellowstone (post #7).

I wonder if this is one of those urban myths that woodsman have made up to poke fun at silly city folk. Then again, I'd never bet against the extremes of human stupidity.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

There are tens of thousands of weekend warriors with more money than brains wanting to “experience” nature thanks to the Disneyfication of it but…. no way could there be more than 2 bone heads out there that don’t read labels!!! Lemme take a stab in the dark here…. your dad’s 1st name starts with an F…. your mom’s 1st name starts with an I, he’s retired from the PO….. he's some sort of a ham (sp?) radio expert …..he calls your mom "momma" instead of her 1st name and she's the one who always answers the phone and tells you she’ll go get poppa from the shed where he’s sneaking another cigarette and…. these numbers are part of your parents’ home phone number (XX7) XX3-XXX9. You have salt ‘o the earth parents!!! Small WORLD!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #16
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
There are tens of thousands of weekend warriors with more money than brains wanting to “experience” nature thanks to the Disneyfication of it but…. no way could there be more than 2 bone heads out there that don’t read labels!!! Lemme take a stab in the dark here…. your dad’s 1st name starts with an F…. your mom’s 1st name starts with an I, he’s retired from the PO….. he's some sort of a ham (sp?) radio expert …..he calls your mom "momma" instead of her 1st name and she's the one who always answers the phone and tells you she’ll go get poppa from the shed where he’s sneaking another cigarette and…. these numbers are part of your parents’ home phone number (XX7) XX3-XXX9. You have salt ‘o the earth parents!!! Small WORLD!!!
No, not him, except for the "F" and the ham radio parts (years ago), but when he told me the story he said that he heard it from a bush pilot so it could be the same one. He's flown all around Alaska for years, both recreationally and professionally, so he's met many, many pilots.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

We met "F" and "I" at an air show years ago. They were both just the kindest hearted people you could ever have a chance meeting with. Me and “I” mostly talked hummingbirds because we both put out feeders while the guys talked planes. I know they’re really into ham radio because they don’t have internet and keep trying to get us to take classes so we can get a license. Alaska….. for as large as it is…. seems to have some pretty close knit communities. I could see where most locals who ever had or currently have a pilot’s license would probably have crossed paths with each other over the years just as I could see where most with a ham radio probably have too. Alaska is my “lust to go to” place. What I wouldn’t do to get out there for a few weeks but… I always get over ridden in the vacation destination department!!! If I do ever get out there…. 1st place I’m stopping is “F” and “I’s” place. I want to look out her kitchen window and see the critters she’s been describing to me myself and I want to walk their land with them. It’d be such a rush!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #18
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Haven't you heard that one of the consistently present ingredients in grizzly bear scat is little bells???
LOL!
(Ijust opened this thread and I'm catching up.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, bear cub, bear spray, bears, glacier, glacier national park, grizzly, grizzly attack, grizzly bear, maul, mauled, mauling, national, national parks, parks, time, wildlife