Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Cougar photos taken near my home in Wisconsin in 2009.

Attachment 25336 Attachment 25337 Attachment 25338 Attachment 25339

Wow, Becky! Beautiful!

You are a wild woman...did you raise some orphaned cougars as well as the bears!?

In my twenties, back when I was still (oil) painting, I did a painting of a cougar...even back then I must've been into wildlife and knew that their numbers were drastically reduced and I must've wanted to draw attention to it. I can't remember what other motivation I would've had...I'd never seen a live cougar prior to that. (Actually that kind of shows in the painting, I didn't really realize how slender they are.)

I also did a bluebird painting having never seen a bluebird (except in pictures) but I knew that they were once as common as robins. I saw my first bluebird at a bluebird trail at a nearby park the same day I started the painting (I had it all planned out prior to that).

Anyway, I guess it amazes me that you encountered a cougar in real life. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Cougar photos taken near my home in Wisconsin in 2009.

Attachment 25336 Attachment 25337 Attachment 25338 Attachment 25339
Boo Boo, you never cease to amaze with your closeness to the wild side of nature. Awesome!!!

In the third picture, though, it appears your neighbors may be what's causing the distention of the cat's belly... Did they ever go missing???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

dapjwy-
Quote:
You are a wild woman...did you raise some orphaned cougars as well as the bears!?
You're kidding right??? After raising 4 orphan bear cubs, I can't even imagine what it would be like to raise orphan cougars! Can you imagine? I just hope the mountain lion population doesn't expire in my lifetime. As a top predator, they do help complete they natural cycle in the wildnerness.

Jack-
Quote:
In the third picture, though, it appears your neighbors may be what's causing the distention of the cat's belly... Did they ever go missing???
ROTFLMAO!!!
No, my neighbors did not go missing, but I do believe during the time of the cougar sightings in my area, that the coyote population dropped a bit. I can't find any conclusive evidence to support that a cougar could take down a coyote, but I sure heard a whole lot less howling at night for a couple of summers.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
dapjwy-
You're kidding right??? After raising 4 orphan bear cubs, I can't even imagine what it would be like to raise orphan cougars! Can you imagine? I just hope the mountain lion population doesn't expire in my lifetime. As a top predator, they do help complete they natural cycle in the wildnerness.

Yes, I was kidding...about raising baby pumas...but not about being a "wild woman".

I hope their population can bounce back.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yes, I was kidding...about raising baby pumas...but not about being a "wild woman".
LOL Dap, you are tooooooo funny!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Heron

I agree with Jack and Dap, He looks well fed and you have a wildlife whisperer quailty that would allow you to get pictures like that.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Great Horned Owl

Default The Connecticut Cougar passed through N Y State

http://www.cougarnet.org/northeast-d...nhair100948rpt[1].pdf

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100, accident, connecticut, cougar, death, journey, lion, migration, minnesota, mountain, mountain lion, wild, wildlife, wildlife accidents, wildlife behavior, wisconsin, years