Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Fisher or Fisher-cat capabilities

For a creature where the male usually maxes out to 12 pounds, it's hard to believe that they have taken down white-tailed deer.

I've never seen one but would love to. Has anyone any first-hand experience with these creatures?

"The fisher is the largest member of the genus Martes, and males are considerably larger than females. Adult males weigh seven to 12 pounds; adult females from four to seven pounds. The heaviest fisher reported was a male from Maine that weighed 20 pounds. Males are longer than females, ranging from 35 to 48 inches; females range from 30 to 37 inches. Fisher achieve adult length within about six months, but continue to gain weight for several years."

"Food Habits
Despite its name, fisher rarely consume fish or other aquatic prey. Fisher are renowned for their ability to prey upon porcupines, and are unique among forest carnivores in that they are well adapted to forage effectively within the forest canopy as well as on the forest floor. Fisher are opportunistic and their diet is diverse, including small mammals, reptiles, insects, fruits and fungi. As consumers of fruits of shrubs and trees, primarily during summer, fisher serve as mammalian seed dispersers in forest ecosystems. Small mammals such as squirrels, chipmunks and mice are thought to be dominant prey sources for fisher in Pennsylvania during most seasons. There is evidence of fisher predation on white-tailed deer, but the frequency and effects of such predation are thought to be limited."

www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/.../fisher_pdf

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We had fisher cats in Vermont which is why we thought our domestic cats disappeared one by one. We also lost all our chickens in one night with nary a feather in sight. This may have been foxes but we did have a big fisher cat population there so I don't know for sure.

As far as fish go we had our pond cleaned out quickly by a group of otters that had a field day, all this at the same place we lived in Vermont. We also saw moose regularly cross our driveway, I was freaked out one day when a couple of hunters came out of our back woods into the back yard shooting toward the house at some game they were chasing. So much for posted signs but those guys got a piece of my mind with three young children in the house!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Maybe a dying, injured, very young deer? A fisher can be rather scavenger like and would certainly take advantage of any situation in their favor.
Have only seen a fisher in the wild once. It was while hiking in the appalachian mountains. It was a brief glimpse of a very unsocial animal.
Found these great videos you might like. The second video down has a fisher scene.

Plummer's Hollow, Pennsylvania

YouTube - Fisher at bait 2

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That's what I'm thinking left the tracks in post 364 WG's Tracks, Scat, and Pellets Appreciation Program (Contest)
I caught one on the game cam....Pretty good sized critters.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #5

I located the photo I mentioned.
Fisher or Fisher-cat capabilities-mdgc0040.jpg
It appears to be carrying something in its mouth.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I located the photo I mentioned.
Attachment 23648
It appears to be carrying something in its mouth.

Nice catch! The thing is, they have probably been through my yard at an hour when I was sleeping or otherwise totally unprepared. I'd like to get one of those game cams.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

I'm having such fun with it.
It is now sitting near a den I had located earlier in the year.
We'll have to wait for the results to come in.

Tags
behavor, capabilities, diet, female fisher, fisher, fisher video, fisher-cat, fishercat, forest, genus, male fisher, mammal, martes, nocturnal, nocturnal wildlife, opportunistic, predator, prey, scavengers, small wildlife, video, wildlife, woodland