Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Fox bites fisherman

"Recent reports have linked foxes to attacks but more people are bitten by dogs in this country or stung by bees. A fox will only bite a human by accident or if it is in a blind panic.
There has never been rabies in the fox population and a small bite is unlikely to do any lasting harm.
"Foxes should not be demonised for scavenging for food, it is what they do. My advice to fishermen is dont sleep out in the countryside, surrounded by food, with the tent doors open. Next time you could be nibbled by a rat.

Fisherman bitten by fox: commentary - Telegraph

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thanks for sharing. At least they are trying to educate people with statistics...Heres hoping people listen.

I've always wanted to see a fox on our property. If memory serves, other than pictures, I've only seen one or two dead on the side of the road. Love to see live one.

I never thought too much about rabies from them, but good to know they are not carriers of rabies.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Rabies has been found in fox here in the U.S. But I don't advocate killing off all fox. Wild mammal populations are monitored for rabies and outbreaks do occur.
Wild animals will bite if startled or to protect their homes and young. Don't try and treat wild animals like pets. There is no reason for fear just be cautious, learn to assess risk when around animals. We can do it (live safely with these animals) I tell you.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

There is a chart on the pdf that shows rabies testing results in Illinois. Many animals are tested but few have rabies. Bats seem to show the most incidence.
While fox and raccoons show no rabies for many years here in Illinois I do know of one incident in Colorado where a fox showed positive with rabies.
I think Ny has had a problem with raccoons.
Several years ago a very few skunks proved positive for rabies but in recent years, though they are tested more in high numbers none have been found positive.
Check your area if your curious. the main problem is statistics are slow and always a year or two behind current year.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/health/i...rt_April04.pdf

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thanks, Gloria.

I agree there is no reason why we can't live safely together.

I have a healthy respect for wild animals. I'd like them to feel safe in my yard, but would never treat them as a pet.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bites, fisherman, fox