Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Yellowstone buffalo headed for slaughter

"Hundreds of buffalo from America's last great remaining wild herd could be sent for slaughter after being driven from Yellowstone national park by high snow and harsh temperatures, conservationists warned today."

"There are about 3,900 buffalo left in Yellowstone national park, the last genetically pure herd remaining of the millions that once roamed the American West. Their existence has come into conflict with Montana's billion-dollar cattle industry. Montana has a zero-tolerance policy for buffalo that wander out of the park in part because of pressure from ranchers who fear the animals will infect their cows."

Hundreds of Yellowstone buffalo face slaughter | World news | The Guardian

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Heron

We really do Bison a dis-service by allowing the ranchers to graze their cattle/sheep on leased federal land but it's been going on since Yellowstone became a park. We also kill the Wolves which would keep Bison numbers in check. Back in the 70's the ranchers tried breeding Buffalo with Cattle to get Beefalo, Another bad idea that diluted the gene pool. In about a month the snow will be melting and early grasses would provide food, If they wanted to keep populations up they could provide hay bales like they do for the Elk or more grazing fields that don't get buried in snow. It's curios that no vaccine ever works since the Bison is not loaded with Hormones and Antibiotics and have healthy immune systems which of course can't be said for the beef we eat.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Well said! The state governments out there are controlled by ranching interests, and any confrontation with a wild animal and cattle is decided long before any discussion starts. Thank God for the Federal Parks, else there would be nothing truly wild left.

The profit motive is a trump card in the game of the West!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
Heron

I'm happy to announce that the Governor of Montana has given the herd a 90 day reprieve, This means that as Yellowstone greens up the Bison will follow their food source back into the park avoiding killing any Bison.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
WG Operations, Facilitator

I wonder why they don't try to place some of the buffalo from this "pure buffalo herd" into a few other areas where they would be welcome and preserved (kept genetically pure).

Seems to me keeping them all in one spot is sort of like keeping all your eggs in one basket.

I know this topic is about conservation of a genetically pure herd of animals, but I'd like to point that out that a buffalo farm near where I live, raises the best meat for burgers I have ever tasted. I wish it were more reasonably priced though. If the price were in line with regular beef hamberger, I would opt to buy the buffalo over the beef. Yes, it's that good (and lean).

Tags
american west, buffalo, cattle, cattle industry, conflict, conservation, cows, genetically, headed, herd, kill, montana, pure, ranchers, slaughter, threat, wild, wildlife, yellowstone, yellowstone park, zero tolerance