Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Fox

fox Night sounds

My wife has been after me to identify this sound she started hearing at night. We finally got a good listen to it this evening, and I was able to identify it as a "Fox calling out" from this great sound site: Fox Sounds
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
My wife has been after me to identify this sound she started hearing at night. We finally got a good listen to it this evening, and I was able to identify it as a "Fox calling out" from this great sound site: Fox Sounds
Cool. Wow! They have a site for everything.

I'd love to see fox in our yard...not sure I'd like to hear that in the middle of the night--at least one of the ones I listened to kinda spooked my cat. I guess if I knew what it was that would be okay.

I think foxes are beautiful.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Salamander

Foxes are great. There was one I was buddies with when I was in Ireland just before I came here. I would always see her as I was walking into the department.
They are so delicate. Almost like cats.

Funny, ok, so I saw the post title, and I thought to myself, night noises? I'm going to stick in a fox calling!
And then I read your post.

There's a big Irish legend about these noises. The Bean sí (pronounced Ban-she). Irish s'es at the start of words are soft. Sinead etc. It means something like Women of the Mound. I suppose the mounds are where the old kings were buried in Ireland about 5000 years ago. They were there before the Celts arrived, and the Celts were a bit afraid of their spirits and so on, so when they heard this sort of noise they thought they were coming back for them.

Or something.
Aos Sí - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, these burial chambers are still standing, you can walk in, rooves are fine. Pretty impressive.

Newgrange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually... check out the stone in front of the passage into the tomb.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Newgrange%2C_Ireland.jpg

I always love those spirals. I remember being there when I was young, and it was the first art I really liked.

Yeah... that's what it sounds like. When we were young, we would be told that the Bean (pron. ban) would make the noises to lure you in, thinking she is being attacked. Then when she sees you, she would jump on you and pull you into her world.

The old Irish people are essentially catholic in name. The old crew still believe in all kinds of things which have nothing to do with The Vatican
I used to stay with a woman who wouldn't eat mackerel. Because they eat dead sailors. If the weather even got warmer than about 65 F, she considered it unhealthy, and refused to leave the house. She learned how to speak English when she was around 20, but spoke with an Irish Grammar, and Irish words thrown in.
And the stories she had about things of the night were epic.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Foxes are great. There was one I was buddies with when I was in Ireland just before I came here. I would always see her as I was walking into the department.
They are so delicate. Almost like cats.
How cool. I'd love to have one around here...even better if he/she were trusting enough to let me take a few picture instead of darting off.

Very interesting/informative about the Bean sí /banshee.

Quote:
...I used to stay with a woman who wouldn't eat mackerel. Because they eat dead sailors. If the weather even got warmer than about 65 F, she considered it unhealthy, and refused to leave the house. She learned how to speak English when she was around 20, but spoke with an Irish Grammar, and Irish words thrown in.
And the stories she had about things of the night were epic.
Now *that* would make a cool Youtube video! (hearing her tell these epic stories with her accent/Irish-grammar-English)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
How cool. I'd love to have one around here...even better if he/she were trusting enough to let me take a few picture instead of darting off.

Very interesting/informative about the Bean sí /banshee.

Now *that* would make a cool Youtube video! (hearing her tell these epic stories with her accent/Irish-grammar-English)

People think I have an accent.
And I have the plainest, flatest, most gentle accent you can have. Some friends from Ireland say I have a Yank accent now. I speak slowly, and have learned fairly well which words and phrases are out of bounds in the US.

And STILL people say they can't understand me once in a while. And I have trouble understanding this old woman.

But, yes. In hindsight, that's a great idea. I heard she died, so it's too late now.

It would sound a bit like this...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #6

Quote:
...But, yes. In hindsight, that's a great idea. I heard she died, so it's too late now.

It would sound a bit like this...
YouTube - Kerry Accent

There was one section I understood clearly--for a while. Other entire sections were totally lost on me. Still others I'd catch a word (mostly "independent") or phrase, here and there. I'd still have liked to hear her stories--assuming I could understand her. I'm sorry to hear she passed away.

How did you get that video (audio mostly)? Did you create it yourself, or find it?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #7

Anyway, trying to get back on topic, back in November, I heard what I think was an owl. I heard it as I was trying to fall asleep...luckily it didn't keep me up...I was just happy to know we may have an owl--or better yet, a pair of owls. I hope, some day, I'll spot them and maybe even get a picture.

I'm also, hoping to get frogs/spring peepers after I get a pond built. I'm hoping those night sounds will lull me to sleep and not keep me awake.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Salamander

Found the youtube...

The only thing I remember is hearing bats at night.
I used to shine my light at my bedroom window when I was little, because I knew the insects would come, and then the bats would follow.

My hearing extended past where, I suppose most (?) people's did. I heard things that other people didn't, including bat noises. No one really believed me, until they tested me.

I think bats would use a course at night, a loop they would fly maybe. I would lay on a wall that they would come skimming along the top of, and get blasted by them as they would suddenly realise there was a thing there that used not to be there.

I don't think my hearing extends up that far any more. Getting old is not all fun and games.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Anyway, trying to get back on topic, back in November, I heard what I think was an owl. I heard it as I was trying to fall asleep...luckily it didn't keep me up...I was just happy to know we may have an owl--or better yet, a pair of owls. I hope, some day, I'll spot them and maybe even get a picture.

I'm also, hoping to get frogs/spring peepers after I get a pond built. I'm hoping those night sounds will lull me to sleep and not keep me awake.
I love peepers! Last year we were at the Refuge one spring night for some event. There were so many peepers and other frogs calling, the sounds made my ears ring! The biologist had to stop trying to talk over the chorus!! It was terrific!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I love peepers! Last year we were at the Refuge one spring night for some event. There were so many peepers and other frogs calling, the sounds made my ears ring! The biologist had to stop trying to talk over the chorus!! It was terrific!
Sounds great...hopefully it will be muffled by the walls of my house while I sleep soundly. (Assuming I attracted them in the first place.)

Tags
barks, bat, bats, bear, chips, fox noises, fox sounds, foxes, frogs, growls, hear, howls, listen, nature, nature sounds, night, noise, owl, owls, sample noises, samples, sounds, sounds in nature, wildlife, wolf