Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
Found the youtube...
Okay, cool. Amazing what one can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
I used to shine my light at my bedroom window when I was little, because I knew the insects would come, and then the bats would follow.
Sounds like you were a cool kid. What a neat thing to do.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Sounds great...hopefully it will be muffled by the walls of my house while I sleep soundly. (Assuming I attracted them in the first place.)
I think hearing spring peepers would lull you to sleep! I open my windows even if it is chilly so that I can hear them from the wetlands behind my bay. *grinning*

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

musical notes3 wildlife sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
My wife has been after me to identify this sound she started hearing at night. We finally got a good listen to it this evening, and I was able to identify it as a "Fox calling out" from this great sound site: Fox Sounds
Benji,
Great link!!! Check out the Science and Nature category for more wildlife sound samples.

We have foxes in our woods, and I've heard occasional yips, yowl and barks from them.

Here are a few other interesting critter sounds from the sound board web site under the science and nature category:

Coyote Sounds

Bobcat Sounds

Cricket Sounds

Cougar/Mountain Lion Sounds

Deer Sounds

Raccoon Sounds

Squirrel Sounds

Bear Sounds

Grasshopper Sounds

Wolf Sounds
Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I think hearing spring peepers would lull you to sleep! I open my windows even if it is chilly so that I can hear them from the wetlands behind my bay. *grinning*
I would think so/hope so...but after reading your earlier comments "...the sounds made my ears ring!" and "...trying to talk over the chorus!!" had me wondering. <grinning back>
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #15

Looks like some great links, BooBooBearBecky. I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to check them out, though. I'm going to bed *early* for a change. I'm exhausted!

I'll be falling asleep to silence--that took some getting used to. Normally I sleep to a fan droning, but I weaned myself from it this winter--finally.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Salamander

Nice one becky.

Raccoons sound like someone doing a bad impression of... something else.

Pumas sound like The Predator. Which is always a good thing.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #17

Thanks for all of the individual links, 4B. I went quickly through them because our cat Bekka seemed a little unsure of what was going on. When I got to the last wolf howling, she took off into the kitchen. By the time I did the last one she growled and took off up the steps. I tried reassuring her, but I'm still waiting for her to come back down. Maybe some birdsongs would help.

Her sister, Meeka, on the other hand is still resting on a chair with a slightly puzzled look, but that could be due to her sister's behavior.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #18

The bird song did bring her back down, but after a while I think it got to her too, and she went back upstairs.

I thought I'd share the link I found: Learn Bird Songs
Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

My pups ears were standing pretty tall when she heard the wolf howl even though she's NEVER heard one before.
THANKS for the link! I'll be showing the grandson in the near future. He'll love it.

My favorite night sound would be the mating call of the toads.
A few owls have let loose above me while walking about in the dark at camp.
WOW do they ever startle you when least expected!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barks, bat, bats, bear, chips, fox noises, fox sounds, foxes, frogs, growls, hear, howls, listen, nature, nature sounds, night, noise, owl, owls, sample noises, samples, sounds, sounds in nature, wildlife, wolf