Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Living With Wildlife

"Conservationists have recognised and promoted what are known as the "Manhattan principles" that the health and sustainable maintenance of wildlife in natural reserves are mutually interdependent with the health of communities and the livestock surrounding them."

"Like any doctor of medicine would vow, "First do no harm." Don't feed wildlife. This builds unnaturally high populations of animals that become increasingly habituated to people and encourages close proximity to humans. Don't relocate nuisance animals. This can introduce disease into areas where it does not currently exist."

Living with Wildlife: November 2010 Archives

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
"Don't relocate nuisance animals. This can introduce disease into areas where it does not currently exist."
Leaving it up to us to do the research on what to do with these nuisance animals, I guess. My brother has told me that he routinely traps and relocates squirrels to the state forest because there are so many coming to his suburban bird feeders.

"Don't feed wildlife." I trust they are referring to animals other than songbirds, woodpeckers and such.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Default Room for apex predators in Illinois???

Chicago Tribune

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We toss whatever leftovers we have outdoors each Winter.
By observation of this years critters gait (in the distance of a dim light) we could tell we had ourselves a fox frequenting the place.

What we hadn't known until we got ourselves a real good look at it last night was.....It's a BEAUTIFUL "grey" fox! What a magnificent looking creature, and it's coat! It's to die for. So plush, So heavy, beautiful and thick!

Once Spring arrives, the feedings shall begin to dwindle and eventually quit previous to the martins return.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

It's cool that you have a beautiful grey fox hava. Why do you stop putting out food when the Martins return?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Mentor

I think the not feeding wildlife thing usually exempts songbirds as long as the feeders are properly maintained and cleaned. I regularly use a weak bleach solution, tripple rinse, and dry and air mine out on a regular basis. Bleach is a pretty good disinfectant, especially if no organic debris is present over. Usually 10 minutes of soaking will kill most (but not all) problems. As long as it's completely aired out after drying, it's one of the safest disinfectants there is, even safe for amphibian enclosures and such. The strong fumes put people off but it doesn't leave anything nasty behind in the aftermath. I only use unscented, regular old bleach.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
It's cool that you have a beautiful grey fox hava. Why do you stop putting out food when the Martins return?
Hubbies afraid its sighting might hinder the martins decision to stick around and use the nest boxes we provide.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #8

I see how mildew and mold take over and fuze the damp seeds to the base of the feeders once they become moistened with rain.
Disinfecting (or at least rinsing them free of the debris) is a real good practice to follow.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
Bleach is a pretty good disinfectant, especially if no organic debris is present over. Usually 10 minutes of soaking will kill most (but not all) problems. As long as it's completely aired out after drying, it's one of the safest disinfectants there is, even safe for amphibian enclosures and such. The strong fumes put people off but it doesn't leave anything nasty behind in the aftermath. I only use unscented, regular old bleach.
I recently read some things that says bleach is not very safe in production along with using it, so try to avoid it as much as possible. I am just not sure what to clean the feeders with.

It has taken me awhile, but I've learned to live with most things: snakes, moles, opossum, etc. My husband used to trap and relocate opossum, but then after reading an article someone linked to here, we've changed our thinking. We were hoping they would come back. Well, at least one has and now its roadkill.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Heron

For cleaning:

Vinegar + Baking Soda
Anti-bacterial soap
Regular Soap
Oxygen Bleach (sodium hydrogen carbonate) for non-aluminum (reacts with the small oxide coating)
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, conservation, conservationist, conservationists, conserve, disease, habituated, living, living with wildlife, maintenance, natural reserves, nuisance, proximity, relocate, sustainable, wildlife