Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Polar Bear News

"The Obama administration today designated more than 187,000 square miles as a protected area for polar bears, which have been designated by the US as a threatened species."

"The designated area includes large parts of the Beaufort and Chukchi seas off northern Alaska. About 96% of the protected area is sea ice. The ruling does not mean an automatic ban on drilling or other activity in the area, only that any applications will be subject to review."

US creates vast polar bear refuge in Alaska as seas warm and ice melts | World news | The Guardian

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
WG Writer

I am watching this report on NBC news right now. The oil and gas companies are saying this won't help the polar bears at all--but it will raise oil and gas prices.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Salamander

Right.

I have a feeling that you can use the Oil and Gas company's wishes as a good indicator of precisely the opposite of what should be done.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Critical habitat designation, eh? Looks good in print but…. there’s no “bite” in a critical habitat designation and BigOil knows it. That was a political move IMHO that detracts from real issues. Reality is it’s not enough when people…. whales…. polar bears and…. other wildlife rely on the Chukchi Sea ecosystem for survival. I hope everyone realizes that our illustrious Interior Secretary Ken Salazar pulled a fast one on us… you know… the one who’s constantly professing his love for the environment who gave Shell Oil the go ahead to “explore” without assessing the environmental impacts this year in the wake of the Gulf Oil "spill", “Pointing out that the Houston-based Shell subsidiary paid $2.1 billion for its leases during Chukchi Sea Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193, Salazar said, "By approving this Exploration Plan, we are taking a cautious but deliberate step toward developing additional information on the Chukchi Sea.", Shell's Chukchi Sea Drill Plan OK'd Despite Pending Lawsuit, and this year he brazenly and with a blatant lack of respect for the environment “asked the court to narrow the ruling so that another company, Statoil, which owns 16 Chukchi leases, could start seismic testing roughly 100 miles from the coast. Government attorneys told the judge that Statoil, a global oil company partly owned by the Norwegian government, would likely face "significant economic losses" if it couldn't proceed with seismic surveying.”, Judge OKs limited exploration for oil in Chukchi Sea: Oil | adn.com. Why should we care how much Shell Oil of Mexico will lose if they can’t go ahead or if Statoil suffers economic losses significant or otherwise when it’s our Chukchi Sea??? Great guy that Salazar…. really cares about the environment… not. And…. I suppose we should forget about the polar bear receiving at least some protection under the Endangered Species Law even if they ever would change its status from threatened to endangered because the Obama administration upheld the old Bush policy that exempted “greenhouse gas emissions” and “oil development”. I hate to be cynical but…. even if status of the bear is changed to endangered…. the oil development exclusion was upheld this year. Forget about the greenhouse gas emissions exclusion because there wouldn’t be enough bear biologists left to analyze gasses since we’re “mysteriously” losing funding for wildlife biologists across the board because the real biggie in this arena that most folk aren’t aware of is that the Fish and Wildlife Service already knows that “the best scientific data available today cannot make a causal connection between harm to" the bear "and greenhouse-gas emissions from a specific facility, or resource development project, or government action". Catch that…. they know that after trillions of dollars spent on AGW that we don’t have the “science” to establish a “causal connection” but…. at least a status change to endangered would force an environmental impact assessment…. which Shell Oil of Mexico and Statoil of Norway REALLY want to “work around” with their “global partners” in the US since Alaska lacks the infrastructure to deal with an oil spill the likes of what we saw in the Gulf and well…. environmental impact assessments are expensive which directly impacts the profit margin when an assessment doesn't exactly result in a finding of no significant impact and oh horror of all horrors…. they tend to unearth those “inconvenient” scientific areas that haven’t been sufficiently researched to proceed forward with a project on their time table so guess what…. hazelnut’s right…. gas prices would go up because those costs would get passed onto consumers which happens to be fine by me because maybe… just maybe… more folk will start riding bikes or…. using public transportation or…. car pooling or….. will think twice before buying another gas guzzler. Salazar et al’s getting caught with their hands in our environmental cookie jar…. again and…. I hope nobody forgets how he allowed BP to dismiss the risk of a blow out because that’s exactly what it looks like he’s gonna let Shell and Statoil do…. with our Adminstration’s blessing evidently. I’m not talking out my rear about the exemption for oil development either…. Check out the 4(d) rule. This is probably why our bats and bees aren’t “labeled” as endangered because they wouldn’t wanna mess with BigWind and BigAg. I’m convinced this is why they rejected endangered species protection for our American Pica…. they’re still permitting livestock grazing…. logging and…. new power plants in the pica’s ONLY “habitat”.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
WG Writer

I don't know that the reserve would cause oil and gas prices to go up. I only meant that that's what the oil companies are saying--and I agree with Phillip what the oil and gas companies are saying may be the opposite of what the earth needs based on past history. Apparently there will be a big political mess and fewer polar bears in the end.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
WG Writer

Polar Bear Pictures - A Mother's Special Touch

polar bear images at firstpeople.com
Old 11-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very nice site!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
WG Writer

I like first people. And they do a lot to promote wild life as well as native Americans.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

those are beautiful photos. Thanks for the link, hazelnut. I hadn't heard of firstpeople.com'

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
WG Operations, Facilitator

Polar Bear photos I took while visiting the San Diego Zoo. Watching the polar bears was fascinating and very entertaining.

It's my hope that the habitat of these wonderful creatures will be spared. It would be so sad if their environment was reduced to only a zoo.

Polar Bear News-img_2266.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2269.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2270.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2273.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2277.jpg

Tags
alaska, area, bear, bears, beaufort sea, chukchi sea, conservation, critical habitat, firstpeople.com, habitat, habitat conservation, news, northern, northern alaska, polar, polar bear, polar bears, protect, protected, protected species, protection, sea ice, threatened, threatened species