Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
WG Operations, Facilitator

A few more polar bear photos I took at the San Diego Zoo.

Polar Bear News-img_2281.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2283.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2285.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2286.jpg Polar Bear News-img_2287.jpg
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
A few more polar bear photos I took at the San Diego Zoo.

Attachment 21431 Attachment 21432 Attachment 21433 Attachment 21434 Attachment 21435
I've never been to the San Diego zoo, but would like to see it. Perhaps the next trip out to the coast it will happen, whenever that will be...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

4B> nice photos and.... I'm with you 100% in hoping their "habitat" won't be reduced to zoos. hazelnut> you said, “I am watching this report on NBC news right now. The oil and gas companies are saying this won't help the polar bears at all--but it will raise oil and gas prices.” NBC is right. The designation of 187,000 square miles as a protected area for polar bears doesn’t help the polar bears at all and the oil companies know it so there’s incentive for them telling it like it is. There’s a gazillion loopholes for a critical habitat designation but not for an endangered species designation. Even with an incidental take provision built in…. that designation throws a lot of stumbling blocks in the path of BigOil…. BigOil would have to shell out Big$$$ for environmental impact assessments. Environmental impact assessments are exactly what BigOil doesn’t want to deal with so they’re telling half truths attempting to redirect our attention to the increased costs we’ll pay if we try to stop…limit or…. restrict their drilling. The half truth is that we’re going to pay either way up front but not necessarily for the long haul if an EIA is conducted. An EIA is capable of shutting down their Arctic operations and…. if their operations continue…. it’s capable of exposing them to tremendous liability…. for damages that Americans would otherwise be stuck shouldering long after their wells were capped off and their rigs were pulled out of the Chukchi Sea, Environmental impact assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Designating land as protected doesn’t hold a candle to the protection afforded by the Endangered Species Act. It’s the Endangered Species Act that has the bite in it, Endangered Species Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, “The provision of the law in Section 4 that establishes critical habitat is a regulatory link between habitat protection and recovery goals, requiring the identification and protection of all lands, water and air necessary to recover endangered species.[28] To determine what exactly is critical habitat, the needs of open space for individual and population growth, food, water, light or other nutritional requirements, breeding sites, seed germination and dispersal needs, and lack of disturbances are considered.” Catch that? That’s not a recovery provision in the law for “threatened” species…. that’s a recovery provision in the law for “endangered” species. I ask…. what good is a protected designation of habitat for polar bears if our administration isn’t going to officially “label” polar bears as endangered? That protected designation for the Arctic ecosystem and its people is worth zip nadda nothing as long as the polar bear hangs out on our “threatened” list. It’ll be business as usual…. drill baby drill…. oil prices will go up and we’ll get nothing in return for the “exploration” and “drilling” other than another destroyed ecosystem and higher gas prices visiting polar bears in zoos.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
WG Writer

The
San Diego zoo didn't have polar bears when I was there back in the 70s. The climate of course would have been totally unsuitable. I wonder what kind of enclosure they have. San Diego has been sort of a leader in providing habitats for zoo animals and trying to avoid just putting them in cages.

Thanks for the photos, Booboobear.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

The San Diego zoo has a state of the art artificial enclosure that draws a huge crowd, First Look: The San Diego Zoo's New Polar Bear Plunge Exhibit || Jaunted.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
WG Facilitator

They seem to be posing for you, BBBBecky. They must have known you're a "bear person"
Old 11-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
They seem to be posing for you, BBBBecky. They must have known you're a "bear person"
LOL !! Well maybe the polar bears knew it, but I sure didn't. At the time I took these photos, my black bear experiences were still 3 years off in the future!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

I guess you just looked all cute and cuddly enough that you HAD to be a bear person. . . They could tell

Tags
alaska, area, bear, bears, beaufort sea, chukchi sea, conservation, critical habitat, firstpeople.com, habitat, habitat conservation, news, northern, northern alaska, polar, polar bear, polar bears, protect, protected, protected species, protection, sea ice, threatened, threatened species