Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Name one...Just for the fun of it.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Ok..... a star-nosed mole. I've never seen one and one day my husband came inside and described a mole with long claws and a pink flower on its nose.... my jaw about dropped to the ground. I'm out there waaaaay more than he is and he saw one on our property not me!!! Not fair!!! I camped out near where he said he saw it for hours on end and never saw one. If you've seen one and have a photo.... I'll pee in my pants.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #33

No pretty stars in your eyes for you...
The "New" northeastern coyote-dscf3173.jpg
Just a skull dissected from an owl scat.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

You sure that's a star-nosed, STAR-NOSED MOLE SKELETON, MAMMAL, SKULL, TAXIDERMY and ADW: Condylura cristata: Information? I'm still impressed!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #35

Welllllll It's possible I was trying to pawn off a regular old mole on you...
No seriously... I thought that's what I had until you found a photo of one...Mine DOES appear to be an everyday sort of a mole...Sorry

Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! I can't see those photos... any of them.... well enough to take a stab at what you've got!! I woulda been blown away if you'd posted a star-nosed mole skull photo!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #37

Now you have me wanting to tease you and say I was just kidding so you'd still think it WAS a star nose skull.
Don't you click onto the photos in a post to enlarge them to view?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #38
Fox

wolf Coyotes - too close for comfort?

My property is being wild-crafted to encourage and protect wildlife, and I want it to set an example of what can be done. And yet there is continuing concern by many people that a too-friendly-to-wildlife environment will put people and wildlife in conflict.

Pennsylvania Game Commission

Quote:

To avoid encounters or problems with coyotes - as well as other wildlife, here are a few steps every homeowner should consider: Keep It Clear: Reduce or eliminate vegetative cover that coyotes could use to approach your property undetected. This includes weedy patches, reverting fields and fallen trees. Weedy and brushy areas are great habitat for rodents, which coyotes hunt regularly. Coyotes also aren't as comfortable in open areas near dwellings.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #39
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
My property is being wild-crafted to encourage and protect wildlife, and I want it to set an example of what can be done. And yet there is continuing concern by many people that a too-friendly-to-wildlife environment will put people and wildlife in conflict.

Pennsylvania Game Commission
Here in Northeastern Massachusetts coyotes are a part of everyday life for all residents. I've seen them in the yard frequently, found their scat regularly, and heard their eerie, wild crying on a regular basis. Yes, rabies is a reality, and a species presence makes it statistically possible for the "unusual and rare" behavior to occur, but planning a property for the purpose of repelling coyotes runs counter to the basic intention of attracting wildlife to one's garden.

Seems to me if one successfully attracts wildlife through the act of planting natives, feeding birds, and eradicating deserts of grass, that their yard will become a mecca for area coyotes; indeed, that is nature's plan - with the top predator insuring balance to the populations of other species in bountiful areas.

Besides, unless one is unreasonably fearful and has a nervous breakdown from the thought, the chance of being injured by a coyote is so remote that one probably has a better chance of being mortally wounded by a falling apple from one's planted orchard!

They will, however, eat your cat, so keep Mittens inside!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
They will, however, eat your cat, so keep Mittens inside!
Just between you and me, many a morning I would just as soon feed Mittens to the coyote as feed cat food to Mittens...
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canids, colonizing, coy-wolf, coyote, coyotes, coywolves, cross, cross breed, deer, food chain, genes, genetic, hybridization, interbredm dna, mix, mixed breed, northeast, northeastern, northwest, predator, predators, wolf, wolf-like, wolflike, wolves