Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

bat2 ~Migration 2010! Post Pix & Reports Here!

I heard them coming! Honk, honk, honk! No, not traffic behind me, but Canada Geese overhead! Sorry, too fast for pix, but hopefully you'll catch some migration pix for us soon! At least, report what's happening in your area!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Ya know.... I've been seeing them too. Isn't this a little early for them... as in a whole month early? Last year the same thing. I hope we don't get another winter like last year. Whacked weather.... from one extreme to the next.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
WG Operations, Facilitator

snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ya know.... I've been seeing them too. Isn't this a little early for them... as in a whole month early? Last year the same thing. I hope we don't get another winter like last year. Whacked weather.... from one extreme to the next.
The bears in our woods started getting thier winter coats early here. In fact their winter coats were all filled in by the first week of September. A whole month early!

Also, our squirrels began their nut stashing frenzy very early too.

I'm wondering if this means a harsh winter, an early winter, or a really loooooong winter?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Monarchs migrating through, but not in big numbers, yet. Had one just come down, land on a tree next to me and let me pick her up! *big grin!*

Also found a newly emerged male in the yard. Not sure where his chrysalis was.

Haven't seen many birds migrating yet. Really need to get out birding either to Cape May or the Refuge. I know lots of stuff is coming through now!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

4B> our squirrels have been going bonkers too. They started in on my peach and apricot trees.... then kicked in big time on the acorns. No bears to give you a shout out on.... I wish!!! I DON"T want another winter spring deal like what we had.... my trees took some hits from freeze thaw cycling. One thing that was good was we did get a lot of snow. No droughty winter this year and it does insulate plants better. bridget1964> no monarchs for me yet.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Hearing geese every night now, we'll have to go by the swamps later to see what's happening there. honk, honk...
Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

They haven't gotten here yet. A lot of pine warblers and pine siskins spend the winter in my woods, and I see a bunch of other warblers going through, but they haven't made it to NC yet.

The leaves are turning way early this year. Hopefully it is because it has been so dry the trees are stressed and not because it is going to be a bad winter.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #8

Leaves01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
The leaves are turning way early this year. Hopefully it is because it has been so dry the trees are stressed and not because it is going to be a bad winter.
Exactly right! I noticed a lot of leaves in our backyard since late August. We had about ten days of wind. The summer was very hot, high 80s-low 90s, and not much rain. Trees are changing color and appear thinner for early September. The wind has lessened and the temps have dropped to 50s-60s already. My balcony garden which should have lasted into October is about shot. It's got me wondering too.

Oh, we went to the swamps today and saw some geese, so the migration is beginning.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Mature deer are merging into their darker grey colored coats.
Bucks are rubbing the velvet off their antlers.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #10

A nearby Maple has turned entirely red already...

Tags
2010, canada geese, flock, geese, goose, honk, migrate, migrating, migrating birds, migration, photos, pictures, pix, post, reports