Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Let the sparring begin: State wildlife biologists want wild pigs banned from Michigan

Let the sparring begin: State wildlife biologists want wild pigs banned from Michigan
Published: Sunday, August 08, 2010, 7:15 AM
Updated: Sunday, August 08, 2010, 8:58 AM
y, August 08, 2010, 8:58 AM
Howard Meyerson
The Grand Rapids Press Howard Meyerson

Let the sparring begin: State wildlife biologists want wild pigs banned from Michigan | MLive.com
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The war on pigs in Michigan is about to get heated. State wildlife biologists are about to propose that feral swine be listed as an “invasive species.”

Doing so will mean it will be illegal to possess them in Michigan. That means several dozen elk and deer hunting ranches offering pig hunts will not be able to do so anymore. Nor will an undetermined number of hunting preserves that only offer pig hunts.

“We don’t know how many places offer pig hunts,” said Russ Mason, the state’s wildlife chief. “We know of 40 to 50 operations that do, and only because they have deer or elk (and have to report them). But there are no regulations governing pigs or fencing requirements or reporting requirements...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

They're proposal is too logical. It'll never pass.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
WG Writer

Probably the reason I am as healthy as I am today if because I spent my childhood running to escape charges by Elmer the Pig. Feral pigs are a nuisance! But I did learn to RUN.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Salamander

People kill wild hogs quite a bit here, but it doesn't always make much of a dent in the population. They're an ecological nuisance and I wish there was a good way to get rid of them. But banning ownership of domestic pigs? I don't know if that would work. They're already in the wild in large numbers. I have a place right outside my fence that was torn up by the wild hogs this year. Groups of them go down the dry creek from time to time and can wander off into other areas also. They multiply worse than bunnies when the rain makes for a favorable year. Then it gets REAL bad. I talked to a neighbor I know who thought he could get someone to come out and try to get rid of them. I don't usually advocate trapping or hunting, but I KNOW how dangerous they can be and how much damage to the land they do. I'd be glad to see them gone!
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
WG Staff

Hog-Tying Michiganders in the Debate Over Asian Carp
Mark Biel
Chair of UnLock Our Jobs
Posted: August 20, 2010 09:53 AM

Mark Biel: Hog-Tying Michiganders in the Debate Over Asian Carp
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Move over zebra mussels and Asian carp, there's a new invasive species in town. The latest animal to captivate Michigan residents, however, does not inhabit the vital inland waterway system or Great Lakes. No, this time the threat comes from land dwelling wild boars. Luckily for Michiganders, lawmakers' response to these destructive wild boars is much more rational than the state's extreme demands to combat Asian carp. In fact, the new threat may even pose a lesson for carp catastrophists in the state.

A proposal to declare wild hogs an invasive species was raised at a meeting of both the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) and Agricultural Commission (AC) last Thursday. Inclusion on the invasive species list would allow the state to increase its efforts in the fight against these destructive animals and kicks off a new initiative to stop the problem before it is too late...
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
WG Staff

Default Wild boars may be declared invasive by state

Wild boars may be declared invasive by state
By Tina Lam
Free Press Staff Writer
Posted: Aug. 13, 2010

http://www.freep.com/article/20100813/NEWS05/8130369/1318/State-not-in-hog-heaven
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Call them wild hogs, feral swine, razorbacks or Russian boar, they've become a serious nuisance across Michigan.

The hogs are thought to be escapees from game ranches, where hunters pay $300 to $2,000 to shoot them. Prolific parents, they produce as many as 18 offspring a year. As many as 5,000 are in the wild in Michigan.

The state is fighting back, considering declaring them an invasive species as at least six other states have done. The director of the Department of Natural Resources and Environment could add wild hogs to the list of invasives as early as September, as the state's wildlife division recommends, making it illegal to possess them. The hogs meet the definition, since they're not native and destructive.
Quote:
Some agriculture commissioners said they would prefer regulation of game ranches to banning the boars. The agriculture commission passed a resolution in July seeking to license ranches and charge fees. They would have rules for fencing and could be fined if animals escaped.
The hogs compete with deer and birds for acorns and berries, eat deer fawns and the eggs of game birds such as grouse and quail, and uproot vegetation. They threaten people: In 2008, a wild hog was shot after it chased a young girl in Washtenaw County. They also carry pseudorabies, a disease that can sicken their domestic pig cousins and endangers the state's $500-million pork industry...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
WG Staff

Default Limits on hog hunts proposed for Michigan

Limits on hog hunts proposed for Michigan
Published: Sunday, September 05, 2010, 7:15 AM

Limits on hog hunts proposed for Michigan | MLive.com
excerpt from above:
Quote:
LANSING -- A package of three bills recently introduced in the Michigan House would create regulations for businesses that offer wild boar hunts, just months after state officials adopted a shoot-on-sight policy for free-roaming swine.

The legislation aims to establish fencing, testing and other requirements for ranches that offer hog hunts at the same time resource managers are considering an order to list the animal as an invasive species, a measure that would outlaw them statewide...
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
WG Staff

Default Editorial: Wild boars must be contained or declared an invasive species

Editorial: Wild boars must be contained or declared an invasive species
Last Updated: September 07. 2010 1:00AM

Editorial: Wild boars must be contained or declared an invasive species | detnews.com | The Detroit News from above:
Quote:
By most accounts, free-ranging feral swine are as much of an ecological threat as Asian carp. Leading agricultural and natural resources organizations in Michigan are worried enough to want them eradicated and banned from the state, but that would shut down at least 40 game ranches whose owners collect as much as $2,000 apiece from hunters eager to stalk and shoot them on the ranches.

A balanced approach that avoids putting these entrepreneurs out of business seems like a better option, provided the owners are willing and able to keep the critters contained. Such an undertaking would require stronger state regulation of the hunting ranches, the cost of which should be fully covered by user fees. Taxpayers shouldn't have to subsidize private hunts or pay for the disease and damage caused by feral hogs that escape...

Tags
banned, begin, biologists, environment, feral, feral pig, feral pigs, feral swine, hog, hogs, invasive species, michigan, nuisance, pig, pigs, regulation, regulations, sparring, state, swine, wild, wild boars, wild hogs, wild pig, wildlife