Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Wildlife (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/)
-   -   The Groundhog (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/6737-groundhog.html)

biigblueyes 08-09-2010 04:30 PM

ummmm - no. The creative juices are NOT flowing when I'm weeding and the heat index is 100 at 7 am. The sweat is all that's flowing then.

dapjwy 08-09-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 73978)
ummmm - no. The creative juices are NOT flowing when I'm weeding and the heat index is 100 at 7 am. The sweat is all that's flowing then.

Yikes, that is too early to be that hot!

Oh well, I thought it would help pass the time. ~smile~ Not that I expect to practice what I preach!

Equilibrium 08-12-2010 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I am going through e-mails and what do I find>>> ? I was rolling on the floor laughing when I saw this photo and couldn't wait to find this thread to add it. I didn't take it.... it came in one of those chain e-mails we all get.

BooBooBearBecky 08-12-2010 04:40 PM

benj1-
Thanks for providing the link about groundhogs. It's very interesting and I learned a few things I didn't know.

Quote:

The average groundhog excavates over 700 pounds of dirt digging just one den, and a single groundhog may have four or or five dens scattered across its territory, moving in and out of them as crops and weather change.
700 pounds is a lot of dirt!!! Wish I could train the resident woodchucks here to do some digging for me in the spots I want!
Quote:

Groundhog burrows are important shelter resources for red fox, gray fox, opossum, raccoon, and skunk, most of whom do not dig their own burrows, but simply occupy those of groundhogs.
I didn't know that other species of critters relied on Mr. Woodchuck to dig their dens. How interesting.

Quote:

Groundhogs are capable of consuming as much as three-fourths of a pound of vegetable matter a day -- the equivalent of a 175-pound person eating 15 pounds of salad a day. In order to maximize food intake, groundhogs will often dig summer burrows in the middle of pastures or meadows, so that that they do not have to go far to go to get to the "salad bar."
Well that explains why a ground hog was able to consume an entire row of broccoli from my garden two summers ago. Hungry buggers.

dapjwy 08-12-2010 06:51 PM

I could learn a thing or two from you too BBBBecky...I should have thought to thank benj1, too. I learned a bit from the article as well.

Thanks, Benj1!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky (Post 74410)
benj1-
Thanks for providing the link about groundhogs. It's very interesting and I learned a few things I didn't know.

700 pounds is a lot of dirt!!! Wish I could train the resident woodchucks here to do some digging for me in the spots I want!
I didn't know that other species of critters relied on Mr. Woodchuck to dig their dens. How interesting.

Well that explains why a ground hog was able to consume an entire row of broccoli from my garden two summers ago. Hungry buggers.

benj1 08-12-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 74308)
I saw this photo and couldn't wait to find this thread to add it.

It's a good one. I'd guess it was taken at a zoo.

havalotta 08-16-2010 08:09 PM

Dapjwy sent me over to check out the poetry thread..

I can not think of much
Bout the limericks and such
I haven't the time
To think on a dime
Idle thoughts won't succeed
Gotta stop this stampede
before I'm put in the nut hutch.

dapjwy 08-17-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 75000)
Dapjwy sent me over to check out the poetry thread..

I can not think of much
Bout the limericks and such
I haven't the time
To think on a dime
Idle thoughts won't succeed
Gotta stop this stampede
before I'm put in the nut hutch.

I don't know how you'd fit in a nuthatch--they're such small birds. Poetry never did make much sense to me. Nice try though.

~wink~

biigblueyes 08-17-2010 07:11 AM

Speaking of that nut hutch. . . .

Let them think we’re crazy.
Watch them roll their eyes
As we spy on groundhogs
And plant for butterflies.

We’ll stalk every critter,
Snag and raptor nest,
Taking lots of pictures,
sharing all the best.

We’ll watch them worry
all about war and global strife
letting stress and pressure
rob them of their life.

Should we share the secret
We learned when we were five?
Don’t take life so seriously –
You won’t get out alive!

dapjwy 08-17-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 75018)
Speaking of that nut hutch. . . .

Let them think we’re crazy.
Watch them roll their eyes
As we spy on groundhogs
And plant for butterflies.

We’ll stalk every critter,
Snag and raptor nest,
Taking lots of pictures,
sharing all the best.

We’ll watch them worry
all about war and global strife
letting stress and pressure