Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Speaking of John Muir, if you are ever in the SF bay area, make a point to go see Muir Woods just north of the city. It's an amazing old growth redwood forest, makes you feel very small and humble indeed. The walk around the bluffs is wonderful too.
Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
What I remember most about John Muir are his early writings of population pressures on the environment. Strange since he's not exactly noted for those writings. Another thing I remember that endeared me to his memory was the little house he built where a stream ran through it. I'd like a house that had a stream running through it. Think about the soothing water sounds your family could go to sleep and wake up to. The sounds of water are so soothing. If you don't mind my asking.... what else did you find to read about John Muir? You might like 'The Widlerness World of John Muir'.
I think a stream running through the house would be lovely. I have mostly been reading some on-line bio and quotes so far. I found a wonderful resource on the Sierra Club web-site. They have all of Muir's books in HTML format! When I have some time to myself I plan on diving in. They also have articles and letters by Muir to read. I'll look for the book you recommended! I love to read, but my kids would rather I read Dr Suess. Most of my book reading takes place late at night when everyone else is in bed where I should be too. Here is a link to Muir's books in HTML if you are interested...

http://www.sierraclub.org/john_muir_.../writings/html
Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Speaking of John Muir, if you are ever in the SF bay area, make a point to go see Muir Woods just north of the city. It's an amazing old growth redwood forest, makes you feel very small and humble indeed. The walk around the bluffs is wonderful too.
Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
My sis-in-law lives in CA and we flew into SF for her wedding many years ago. We never had a chance to do more than take a quick tour of SF through the backseat of my FIL's car. I would love to go back and spend some time playing tourist. I have seen some pics of Muir Woods and it truely does look amazing.

Tags
behavior, caching, deception, deceptive, deceptive caching, mammal, muir woods, nut, nut cache, nuts, outwits, primate, primates, scientists, seed, seeds, small mammal, squirrel, squirrel behavior, squirrels, study, survive, tactical deception, wildlife, wildlife behavior