Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
WG Staff

coyote Setting It Straight That Coyotes Aint The Enemy

Setting It Straight That Coyotes Aint The Enemy
This Invisible Urban Canid Dines Enthusiastically on City Rodents
Mar 14, 2009
Marie Thomas

Setting It Straight That Coyotes Aint The Enemy: This Invisible Urban Canid Dines Enthusiastically on City Rodents
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Here’s a hypothetical situation: there is a large city on the East Coast that is drowning in debt because of dishonest business practices and overspending in a major construction project. For convenience, let’s call it the “Huge Deluge”. Putting together a few apparently unrelated news stories from a few years ago such as the disruption this project caused in local neighborhoods, it seems it unearthed underground nests of wharf rats in nearby residential areas.

Months of disturbances yielded complaints by residents of huge rats invading their yards, several said they were larger than their pets. Making the evening news, one lady said one had killed her cat, and another family said several attacked their Siberian Husky tied outside their back door. A week later there was a dramatic TV video of four wildlife control officers cornering a young adult coyote that had made its way into the construction area in search of food – an animal that stays to itself and could easily polish off more than a few wharf rats a day. What did they do? Lasso it and drag it off to the SPCA (they said), commenting its proximity to the city wasn’t appropriate to the species and it needed to be tested for rabies. What’s wrong with this picture...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
WG Writer

I learned about coyotes one time when a rural mechanic where I took my car to be fixed had 3 coyote pups he had rescued. I don't know how it happened but I got my car fixed and came home with one of those pups.

Living with a coyote is an adventure I can tell you. Most of the chickens around our place roosted on the telephone lines. The one's that didn't were lunch for coyote. One of his favorite things to do was to go off on a toot and come home with loot which he piled on his bed and looked at. I don't know when he did this, but there would be the loot. One treasure was a plastic foot with red painted toe nails.

A favorite adventure was to steal the neighbor's bikini underwear off her clothes line and stash it in his bed.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

LOL! I can picture the plastic foot with the painted toes next to the bikini underwear! Your coyote really had a sense of humor! Is he still around?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
WG Writer

Little coyote got hit by a car. He didn't live so long as some as my dogs, but I will always remember his distinctive personality. In some Indian mythologies, coyote was called The Trickster. This guy was always playing tricks all right. He seemed to have a good time entertaining himself though. He never had a name. I just called him coyote.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, balance in nature, balanced ecosystem, biodiversity, biodiversity benefits, biodiversity impact, biodiversity loss, canis, canis latrans, control rats, control rodents, coyote, coyotes, ecosystem, ecosystem balance, latrans, natural rodent control, nature, rat, rats, rodent control, rodent populations, rodents, straight, wildlife