Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
...Sigh. I go until June 29. Ugh!
Hang in there!

I thought the last two weeks would drag, but they actually went by rather quickly.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #32

PAH! butterlies!

(sorry that is a deaf thing-- "PAH!" appears on the lips when signing the concept of "finally--at long last"...even though it is not an English word, sometimes deaf people write/type it for fun.)

When my butterly weed finally started blooming I saw no butterflies for the first week or so, then finally spotted some, and more in the days that followed. The first thing that came to mind when seeing them was:" "PAH!"

I'm late in posting the pictures but here they are---finally!
Attached Thumbnails
Today's encounters-butterfly-047.jpg   Today's encounters-butterfly-020.jpg   Today's encounters-027.jpg   Today's encounters-clear.jpg   Today's encounters-001.jpg  

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Beautiful! Don't you just love butterflies? I watched monarchs, tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails flip all over John's swamp milkweed this weekend. As I left early this morning, they still were happily nectaring all over the yard. Really made me smile.

Had 7 monarchs eclose (emerge) today. My count is up to 59!
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Beautiful! Don't you just love butterflies? I watched monarchs, tiger swallowtails and black swallowtails flip all over John's swamp milkweed this weekend. As I left early this morning, they still were happily nectaring all over the yard. Really made me smile.

Had 7 monarchs eclose (emerge) today. My count is up to 59!
Yes, I'm thrilled to be seeing more of them, and hope to increase the variety by planting more nectar and host plants.

I love to see two of the same species tumbling over each other in mid-air! I saw it happen a few times here. I'm assuming they were battling over trying to land in the same space, but would like to know if it is a mating ritual, or just frolicking and having a good time.

I bet seeing the butterflies again in the morning kept you smiling for a while on your drive.

59? That is great!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #35

There is so much life on and around my butterfly weed. I posted three different spiders on a different thread, but this morning I noticed two on either side of a web...I'm surprised they tolerate being that close to each other. The next door neighbor (spider) is on the other side about a foot away. These two seem to be sharing a duplex!
Attached Thumbnails
Today's encounters-016.jpg   Today's encounters-040.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
...I'm surprised they tolerate being that close to each other.
Or is that a male with a female?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #37

There has been so much activity just around this on plant. Here are two different species utilizing different parts of the plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Today's encounters-030.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #38
Official Plant Nerd

You've really been going to town with the camera. These are ALL really good shots!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You've really been going to town with the camera. These are ALL really good shots!!!
Thank you! I'm really having fun with it. ....but, I'm kind of neglecting some work around the yard, lately.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #40
Official Plant Nerd

I'm inside doing work since I've been neglecting pretty much everything inside except the walls. I hop online then I do a load of laundry. I hop back online.... then clean the dishes.... hop back online.... then clean a toilet. The laundry was backing up with wall washing and I had to start hitting it so I get to play online today!!! Just do what I do so you don't feel guilt.

Tags
asters, buck, deer, deer habitat, deer horn, deer horns, doe, encounters, encounters with nature, fawn, forage, habitat, habitats, herd, herd of dee, native plant habitat, native plants, nature, seeing deer, stablished natives, today, wildlife, wildlife encounters