Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #21
WG Operations, Facilitator

deer

dapjwy-
Perhaps the reason the deer may have taken off, is because she thought you were spelling "venison steak" in sign language. (just kidding!!!)
Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
dapjwy-
Perhaps the reason the deer may have taken off, is because she thought you were spelling "venison steak" in sign language. (just kidding!!!)
LOL!

Not this recent one, she never let me get a sign in edgewise! She just took off, "How rude!"
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #23
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

bear

Quote:
dapjwy,

The incident you mentioned involved Grizzley Bears. Grizzley Bear behavior and Black Bear behavior are very different.

Good information about black bear behavior from researchers, who study black bears in the wild, can be an be found at this link:

North American Bear Center
Becky,
I grew up in NE PA and we often had encounters with black bears. I like to tell my students stories about the wildlife encounters I had as a kid. People think I am crazy when I tell them we regularly had black bears in our yard and I liked it! Never once did any of the bears come after any of us. I even followed one as it lumbered through the neighboring yards, looking for a trash can with a loose lid. Camera in hand, I stayed a healthy distance away from him/her. All of the sudden, the police pulled up on a side street and with a bull horn announced: GET AWAY FROM THE BEAR! Then they forced me to go into a neighbor's house until it was 'safe'. Sigh.

They proceeded to chase the bear up a tree, waited for it to come down, then impatiently left when it did not. The bear got off easy this time; sometimes, they shoot them with a tranquilizer and then they fall to the ground, often dying of injuries from their fall!

I have met many a black bear in the woods, sometimes on the back side of a highbush blueberry bush, sometimes lumbering down my mt. bike trail, sometimes just a loud crashing in the understory. Never have I felt scared, just awe of these magnificent creatures.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #24
WG Operations, Facilitator

paw print

bridget1964-
Sounds like you know black bears the way I know black bears. Thanks for sharing your bear experiences.

Black Bears are really quite docile creatures. They tend to keep to themselves and scare off easily at human activity or sounds.

People often mistake a black bear's huffing noise and front foot stomping action for agression. In bear language it simply means, "I'm scared, I'm nervous, please go away." Or they just turn and run off. The technical term for this stomping/huffing behavior is "bluster." The "huff" sounds like a whale expelling a great deal of air through it's blow hole.

The other noise a black bear makes that causes people to be frightened is "teeth clacking." I can understand why a person would be scared at this noise. It's often misinterpreted by people as "I'm going to eat you up for dinner in one chomp with ketchup and mustard!" Actually the black bear teeth clacking noise is akin to a beaver slapping it's tail on the water. "Danger, danger, Will Roger, Danger!" I used the teeth clacking noise to communicate danger to my orphan bear cubs and send them up a tree.

If I'm in the woods taking photos, and an unknown black bear comes too close too me....I clack my teeth. The bear runs off. I never hide or try NOT to let the bear see me. They key is to always make your presence known and not surprise the bear during an unexpected close bear encounter. If you notice a black bear in the distance, just leave the area.

The sure way to scare off a black bear, is to laugh or giggle. This sound causes every bear I've encountered to race off in a hurry. Even the bears that know me. Singing and talking also work. Basically any noise that is sudden, loud, or unexpected will scare a black bear away.

Waving one's arms is not a good idea. A black bear will interpret this motion as a threat or act of agression. One summer I kept seeing this couple out walking carrying a single golf club when I drove the backroads to town. I knew why he was carrying it (to scare off the bears), and finally one day I stopped the truck, rolled down the window, and made a funny joke about the golf club. I proceeded to tell him that it was more dangerous to swing a golf club in the air (an extension of one's arms to make a really big motion means the black bear will see you as a really big threat, and become defensive, possibly aggressive), than to just make a sudden noise to scare the bear off. He skoffed at me. The next time I encountered this fella taking a walk on the backroads, again with his golfclub, I rolled down the window and handed him a gym whistle to wear around his neck. He accepted my offering with much skepticism.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
bridget1964-
Sounds like you know black bears the way I know black bears. Thanks for sharing your bear experiences.

Black Bears are really quite docile creatures. They tend to keep to themselves and scare off easily at human activity or sounds.

People often mistake a black bear's huffing noise and front foot stomping action for agression. In bear language it simply means, "I'm scared, I'm nervous, please go away." Or they just turn and run off. The technical term for this stomping/huffing behavior is "bluster." The "huff" sounds like a whale expelling a great deal of air through it's blow hole.

The other noise a black bear makes that causes people to be frightened is "teeth clacking." I can understand why a person would be scared at this noise. It's often misinterpreted by people as "I'm going to eat you up for dinner in one chomp with ketchup and mustard!" Actually the black bear teeth clacking noise is akin to a beaver slapping it's tail on the water. "Danger, danger, Will Roger, Danger!" I used the teeth clacking noise to communicate danger to my orphan bear cubs and send them up a tree.

If I'm in the woods taking photos, and an unknown black bear comes too close too me....I clack my teeth. The bear runs off. I never hide or try NOT to let the bear see me. They key is to always make your presence known and not surprise the bear during an unexpected close bear encounter. If you notice a black bear in the distance, just leave the area.

The sure way to scare off a black bear, is to laugh or giggle. This sound causes every bear I've encountered to race off in a hurry. Even the bears that know me. Singing and talking also work. Basically any noise that is sudden, loud, or unexpected will scare a black bear away.

Waving one's arms is not a good idea. A black bear will interpret this motion as a threat or act of agression. One summer I kept seeing this couple out walking carrying a single golf club when I drove the backroads to town. I knew why he was carrying it (to scare off the bears), and finally one day I stopped the truck, rolled down the window, and made a funny joke about the golf club. I proceeded to tell him that it was more dangerous to swing a golf club in the air (an extension of one's arms to make a really big motion means the black bear will see you as a really big threat, and become defensive, possibly aggressive), than to just make a sudden noise to scare the bear off. He skoffed at me. The next time I encountered this fella taking a walk on the backroads, again with his golfclub, I rolled down the window and handed him a gym whistle to wear around his neck. He accepted my offering with much skepticism.

Great information. Thank you for sharing.

I'm thrilled that you knew the proper language to use with the cubs you raised. ~smile~ You must've made an excellent mother.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #26

Default Wildlife Walk

Yesterday, I went for a 2 mile walk that became a 3-4 mile walk. I live in a fairly country setting, but the road is a bit too busy for me--and a bit narrow for walking. I was surprised at all the wildlife I encountered that day.

It began when I heard an odd croaking caw, behind me that I assumed was a crow--when I turned to look I spotted, to my surprise, a blue heron flying along the stream which flows below a steep bank on the opposite side of the road. I love blue herons and have spotted several in the past week, but none near here and so close. When I turned he seemed to quickly shut up and just flew silently ahead of me.

That would have been enough to make my day, but there is more. Aside from a songbird or two along the way, in a water filled ditch along the shoulder (of another road) I spotted salamander larvae! At first glance I thought they might be tadpoles, but upon further examination I was thrilled to realize that they were baby salamanders! ~smile~

I took pictures with my cell phone, not the best pictures, but at least you can make them out. I'm estimating there must have been at least 50...about 30 can be seen in the picture (I counted the other day).

On my way back home, back on the somewhat busy road on which I live, the stream was now below me on my left. I can glimpse it through the trees. At one point I heard what sounded like someone wading through the water. I looked back and down, and through the trees I thought at first I saw two people wading through the stream, until they darted out of the water and up the bank did I see them clearly--two deer!

It was an amazing walk! There is a variety of wildlife within a mile or so of my property, and likely on my property. The more improvements I make to our land the more we will see close up!

And to prove my point, upon returning home, I walked my paths and spotted several birds...but, what caught my attention was what I at first assumed was a monarch butterfly in the grass sunning itself. I was able to get several pictures each one closer than the next. It seemed to me that it must have been exhausted because it wouldn't move. After getting some pretty good shots (with my cell phone), the sun started shining more brightly and that was just the boost it needed to take off and get away from this towering being getting ever closer to it.

Thinking of posting here that I spotted my first monarch butterfly gave me a nagging feeling that I may have misidentified it--so I searched the web for "Monarch look alike" and found that I was right--it was the viceroy. (I'm still waiting on Mary to verify that for me.)

Anyway, it was a good walk and a great day for spotting local wildlife.
Attached Thumbnails
Today's encounters-salamander-babies-2.jpg   Today's encounters-salamander-babies.jpg   Today's encounters-salamander-babies-4.jpg   Today's encounters-viceroy-butterfly.jpg  

Last edited by dapjwy; 06-15-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #27

I have never seen salamander babies before! You are so lucky! What a lovely walk you had!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I have never seen salamander babies before! You are so lucky! What a lovely walk you had!
Thank you, I feel lucky. ~smile~

...so, is that a viceroy butterfly, Butterfly Lady?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #29

Yes, it is a viceroy! But my name is Mary Monarch or Monarch Mary, not Butterfly Lady. Get it right.

I did reply to the other post where you had multiple shots of butterflies.

BTW, are you done with school?? I notice you are on here at odd times now. Sigh. I go until June 29. Ugh!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Yes, it is a viceroy! But my name is Mary Monarch or Monarch Mary, not Butterfly Lady. Get it right.

I did reply to the other post where you had multiple shots of butterflies.

BTW, are you done with school?? I notice you are on here at odd times now. Sigh. I go until June 29. Ugh!

~smile~ I kind of like 'butterfly lady', but Mary Monarch isn't so bad either-- At first I liked Monarch Mary, but that makes you sound like a queen.

Yes, I just saw that--thank you...I guess I should stick to one topic per thread.

Yes, school is out for now! ~whew~ it was an odd/tough year, I really need a break--but, I'll be working a few days a week soon, so I'd better enjoy my two weeks off. Yes, I'm keeping odd hours--but, gotta get up early for more walks!

Tags
asters, buck, deer, deer habitat, deer horn, deer horns, doe, encounters, encounters with nature, fawn, forage, habitat, habitats, herd, herd of dee, native plant habitat, native plants, nature, seeing deer, stablished natives, today, wildlife, wildlife encounters