Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Does should have little ones with them by now.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Does should have little ones with them by now.

I was assuming it was a doe...how early do bucks get their antlers?

If it was a doe, could her fawn(s) have been behind her on the hillside (while she scouted the area first) and out of my view? Would she be alone, don't deer normally stay in a herd?

Just asking these questions makes me feel so out of touch with nature--which I profess to enjoy so much. I'm not a hunter and don't realize, now, how little I really know about them.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

She could of stashed her fawns anywhere. Not necessarily close. Cool observations everyone! Fuzzy neighbors are the best kind.

This week our baby nuthatches arrived at the feeders. Fussing and demanding their folks feed them. Kinda like really loud parakeets. Two baby squirrels got introduced to the endless supply of black oil sunflower seeds. Two weeks later than the baby Grinnies. (chipmunks)
Caught the culprit squishing my plants, Bad...bad Bunny! No nibbling but apparently lots of nap time. Pansy's, flat. Montana Centralia, leaning radically.A suspicious lack of dandylions in the lawn.... and we have a WINNER! She stays!
The squirrels being goofy babies have run into rocks, each other and the rabbit. I was dumbfounded to see the bunny rear up and Bunny-Box at them!
Must keep the food comming, it's hilarious out front!

Becky, very cool bear tales! I envy you.
Tberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
WG Operations, Facilitator

dapjwy,
Quote:
I remember hearing about a man who lived with bears for years until they killed him and his girlfriend. ...I just did a quick search: Timothy Treadwell
The incident you mentioned involved Grizzley Bears. Grizzley Bear behavior and Black Bear behavior are very different.

Good information about black bear behavior from researchers, who study black bears in the wild, can be an be found at this link:

North American Bear Center

Quote:
Why do we fear bears?

Excessive Warnings About Attacks
Attacks are rare and excessive warnings about them create unnecessary fear. Balanced and factual information about bears is hard to find. Providing that information is the main goal of the North American Bear Center where the bears themselves provide much of the information through video footage and research data.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

dapjwy-
Quote:
I had been taking sign language classes at that time and in the quiet of the woods, I signed things like "beautiful deer" and stuff. She seemed mesmerized and watched me for quite a long time. It was a neat experience.
Sign Language with animals has been used with primates and dogs, no reason to think it wouldn't work with a deer!

Here in northern WI, the male deer are just starting to grow their antlers. They look like little nubs right now. We see single deer, does with fawns, and sometimes several deer together in the woods.

Tberri-
Quote:
The squirrels being goofy babies have run into rocks, each other and the rabbit. I was dumbfounded to see the bunny rear up and Bunny-Box at them! Must keep the food comming, it's hilarious out front!
This sounds like watching a "real life critter cartoon." Pictures, pictures, pictures, I want to see pictures of your funny furry critters!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I was assuming it was a doe...how early do bucks get their antlers?
from.... White-tailed deer antler growth and physiology: Whitetail Stewards Inc.
Quote:
Annual antler development
Spring/Summer - Annually, deer antler growth begins nationwide between mid-March and early-April.
Quote:
If it was a doe, could her fawn(s) have been behind her on the hillside (while she scouted the area first) and out of my view? Would she be alone, don't deer normally stay in a herd?
The fawn-fawns most certainly could have been laying near and motionless. They stay hidden in the tall grasses and ferns until rising to follow mom. They are scentless for the early part of their life. I believe this to be true as I've watched GOOD hunting dogs walk literally within inches of them without taking notice. You know how good a dogs nose is...

Herding takes place during the coldest Winter months. Spring breaks the group up to forage and have their little ones. Later in the year the does start to regroup with other does along with their yearlings... Fall brings the rut...(Mating) and they finish fattening up before the snow sets in where they once again regroup during the tough Winter months.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tberri View Post
She could of stashed her fawns anywhere. Not necessarily close. Cool observations everyone! Fuzzy neighbors are the best kind.

This week our baby nuthatches arrived at the feeders. Fussing and demanding their folks feed them. Kinda like really loud parakeets. Two baby squirrels got introduced to the endless supply of black oil sunflower seeds. Two weeks later than the baby Grinnies. (chipmunks)
Caught the culprit squishing my plants, Bad...bad Bunny! No nibbling but apparently lots of nap time. Pansy's, flat. Montana Centralia, leaning radically.A suspicious lack of dandylions in the lawn.... and we have a WINNER! She stays!
The squirrels being goofy babies have run into rocks, each other and the rabbit. I was dumbfounded to see the bunny rear up and Bunny-Box at them!
Must keep the food comming, it's hilarious out front!

Becky, very cool bear tales! I envy you.
Tberri,

It sounds like you have some great fuzzy--and feathery neighbors. I'd love to see baby nuthatches!

I stop feeding the birds during warmer months. I have to get a water feature in, I'm hoping that will attract a lot. My bluebirds might bring their fledglings over for a bath or a drink. That should be my next project.

...I almost typed that I was jealous of Becky--but, envy sounds better. She sure has had some amazing experiences.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
from.... White-tailed deer antler growth and physiology: Whitetail Stewards Inc.

The fawn-fawns most certainly could have been laying near and motionless. They stay hidden in the tall grasses and ferns until rising to follow mom. They are scentless for the early part of their life. I believe this to be true as I've watched GOOD hunting dogs walk literally within inches of them without taking notice. You know how good a dogs nose is...

Herding takes place during the coldest Winter months. Spring breaks the group up to forage and have their little ones. Later in the year the does start to regroup with other does along with their yearlings... Fall brings the rut...(Mating) and they finish fattening up before the snow sets in where they once again regroup during the tough Winter months.
Thanks, havalotta! =) Good to know.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
dapjwy,

The incident you mentioned involved Grizzley Bears. Grizzley Bear behavior and Black Bear behavior are very different.

Good information about black bear behavior from researchers, who study black bears in the wild, can be an be found at this link:

North American Bear Center

I didn't realize that incident was grizzly bears, not black bears.

I don't expect any animal to attack, but I know it can happen. My understanding is just don't get between a bear and its cubs or a bear and its food.

While talking about poisonous snakes, I've explained to a student that I work with that the snake is not out there waiting to attack, but if they are cornered, surprised, or feel threatened, they may. Anotehr time, he said that sharks are mean, I told him that they are not mean, just hungry. I think I have a healthy respect for what an animal could do, but I don't think they are out to get us.

I'm truly amazed by the connection you formed with the cubs that view you as their mother. I just don't want to see anyone get hurt.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
dapjwy-
Sign Language with animals has been used with primates and dogs, no reason to think it wouldn't work with a deer!
~smile~ I didn't expect her to understand, it was just to keep her mesmerized so I could watch her longer.

Tags
asters, buck, deer, deer habitat, deer horn, deer horns, doe, encounters, encounters with nature, fawn, forage, habitat, habitats, herd, herd of dee, native plant habitat, native plants, nature, seeing deer, stablished natives, today, wildlife, wildlife encounters