Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Grub

Exclamation Warning GRAPHIC IMAGE: Dead animal question

Im sorry the following isnt anything uplifting to read or look at but I just am baffled by what I found. So if you wont want to see or read anything about decomposing animals then close this window now.

I just found what appears to be the corpse of a grey or red fox floating in the marsh behind my house. Its weird that i hadent found it sooner since i visit the location daily. I called the MN DNR but they were beyond uninterested. I find it odd that it looks like it was attacked by some sort of predator (the front right leg is torn apart to the bone and the throat/face also seem to be torn apart). I live in the suburbs and cant think of anything that would attack and leave the body almost completely intact. Unless the foxes in the area decided to conduct some sort of killing of another fox. Even if it was a dog it just seems very odd that it would be in the water. Also it seems too big to be a cat. But Im not veterinary forensic scientist.

Im unsure how long its been there, it didnt give off any horribly odor and when i moved it with a large stick it released some blood. But it must have been there a few weeks-month because the hair is falling off.

I am uneasy about posting the pictures but maybe someone out there can help me figure out what it is. The 2nd photo you can see its whiskers and ear.

Im sorry these photos are pretty disgusting.

Also anyone have an advice if i should just leave it or fish it out and bury it?
Attached Thumbnails
Warning GRAPHIC IMAGE: Dead animal question-dscf0976.jpg   Warning GRAPHIC IMAGE: Dead animal question-dscf0979.jpg  
CitraBenzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Fox

I can't help you identify it or how it came to be. But unless you feel it poses some hazard, I suggest you let nature do what she does well, and just observe the process. As the water warms, the decomposition will accelerate.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

So much for my midnight snack. I'm just teasing with you so you maybe won't feel so bad about the photos you took.... There's nothing you could have done to prevent it.... what ever it is decomposing in that water. Lots of things happen that we can't do anything about. It doesn't make us feel any less horrible. Try not to get too upset over what you're seeing and maybe try what benj1 said.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Carbon

Question

Here's another one - anyone have any idea what this dead critter is?
Attached Thumbnails
Warning GRAPHIC IMAGE: Dead animal question-20160604ofwwvickeryriverparkdr.jpg  
xfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

By it's teeth and snout...It appears to be a possum.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #6
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
By it's teeth and snout...It appears to be a possum.
Yup! a possum...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I thought the same, but was not confident enough to post. Glad to see two others concur.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Concur...Brings back memories of an ol DiCaprio film where he's impersonating a doctor. Do you concur?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
Hippie Gardener

"I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" (anyone old enough to remember that commercial?). I also think it looks like an opossum and I agree with benj1, if there is no compelling reason to remove and bury it, just leave it and watch the process unfold.

Tags
animal, dead, graphic, image, question, warning