Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Salamander

Default Coyote in car hood?

My spouse just got a forwarded email from a friend out West about a couple who hit a coyote, then continued to drive with it inside the hood of their car for 600 miles. Allegedly they did not know it was there and the coyote actually survived.

Is it true or a fraud?

Here is the text of the email--can I legally post the pictures?

"Meet the wiliest of all coyotes: Hit by a car at 75mph, embedded in the fender,rode for 600 miles - and SURVIVED!
When a brother and sister struck a coyote at 75mph they assumed they had killed the animal and drove on.
They didn't realize this was the toughest creature ever to survive a hit-and-run.
Eight hours, two fuel stops, and 600 miles later they found the wild animal embedded in their front fender - and very much alive.
Daniel and Tevyn East were driving at night along Interstate 80 near the Nevada-Utah border when they noticed a pack of coyotes near the roadside on October 12.
When one of the animals ran in front of the car, the impact sounded fatal so the siblings thought there no point in stopping.
'Right off the bat, we knew it was bad,' Daniel explained. 'We thought the story was over.'
After the incident around 1am, they continued their 600 mile drive to North San Juan - even stopping for fuel at least twice.
But it was only when they finally reached their destination at 9am did they take time to examine what damage they may have sustained.
At first it looked as though it was going to be quite gruesome.
'[Daniel] saw fur and the body inside the grill,' Tevyn East said. 'I was trying to keep some distance. Our assumption was it was part of the coyote - it didn't register it was the whole animal.'
Daniel East got a broom to try and pry the remains out of the bumper and got the shock of his life.
'It flinched,' Tevyn East said. 'It was a huge surprise - he got a little freaked out.'
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
Salamander

Never mind--after a little searching I found this on Snopes:

snopes.com: Lucky Coyote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Salamander

And a few more pictures here:

Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Heron

I wouldn't of believed it either. Two fuel stops and they never bothered to see if there was an damage to the van? from hitting the coyote?!
They eihter didn't have insurance or they had too many Red Bulls on the drive. LOL!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkweed View Post
I wouldn't of believed it either. Two fuel stops and they never bothered to see if there was an damage to the van? from hitting the coyote?!
They eihter didn't have insurance or they had too many Red Bulls on the drive. LOL!
These folks were bullish on coyotes perhaps ?
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Mentor

Hopefully, if they think they may have hit a pedestrian they will do a more thorough examination!
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

My aunt sent this to me. I raised an eyebrow and deleted it. Kinda neat to find out it legit. Pretty wild, eh.

Tags
car, coyote, hood