Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Wildlife (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/)
-   -   Hawk in the Yard (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/3577-hawk-yard.html)

MrILoveTheAnts 08-30-2009 11:20 PM

Hawk in the Yard

1 Attachment(s)
Earlier last week I was typing away in the computer when suddenly out the window my eye caught sight of what I assumed was an enormous turkey flying into the oak outback. In rushing out to investigate I found what I think is a Red Tailed Hawk. He flapped about in the neighboring yards, flying down now and again to peck at worms or filed mice. One time when I took a picture he looked at right at me, apparently surprised by the flash. I would have taken a picture of this but didn't want to frighten it.

Equilibrium 08-31-2009 08:43 PM

I've run outside early morning in a t-shirt and underwear to try to take photos of things and I always come up empty handed. Doesn't stop me from trying. Looks like a red-tailed hawk to me. Neat visitor to your yard. What else do you get?

Sage 08-31-2009 09:11 PM

Doesn't look like a RTH to me. Smaller similar hawks are Cooper's and Sharp-shinned but not enough detail here to be sure.

MrILoveTheAnts 08-31-2009 09:47 PM

The back of the tail was a light brown color, darker than the wings and upper body. And it was big enough to find one of my adult cats as a meal. If that helps with the ID.

Other birds... this is about as exotic as it gets. Goldfinches and Chickadees are as pretty as they get. Not very special though.

Hedgerowe 08-31-2009 10:12 PM

So sorry about your cat, MrILoveTheAnts. I don't think that a Cooper's Hawk could take an adult cat.

Sage 08-31-2009 10:14 PM

omg! your cat! That's horrible!

Sage 08-31-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Backyard Tips

You’re unlikely to see this bird in your backyard (unless yours is a big one). Red-tailed Hawks eat mostly mammals, so they’re less likely to visit a popular feeder than a Cooper’s or Sharp-shinned hawk is. It’s very rare for a Red-tailed Hawk to go after dogs or cats.
Found here: Red-tailed Hawk

MrILoveTheAnts 08-31-2009 10:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 37825)
So sorry about your cat, MrILoveTheAnts. I don't think that a Cooper's Hawk could take an adult cat.

Oh no no! All our cats are fine. But we did immediately get them in the house once I saw the bird. I've seen similar hawks take out squirrels. Here are some pictures taken by my old camera a few years ago.

Sage 08-31-2009 11:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One of my best Red-tailed Hawk Flickr pages

Click above for the series.

Equilibrium 09-01-2009 12:10 AM

I recognize that one photo!!! That's somewhere here at our site. I love it. The breast streaking doesn't seem right for his bird to be a Coopers but... consider the source. I'm not too good on bird identification.