Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Wildlife (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/)
-   -   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/3352-extremely-disturbing-photo-attached-opossum-rescue.html)

Equilibrium 08-12-2009 05:37 PM

Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue

1 Attachment(s)
On my way to work I spotted a dead opossum and one baby in the road. I always stop to check the pouch. I could not get at the pouch because of the way it had been hit but I saw movement. In the photo you will see a rounded lump. That rounded lump was where the baby was. Pouches don't usually end up rammed up into that location. I don't even want to discuss how I got it out. I'm posting the photo ONLY so that maybe someone will stop the next time they see a dead opossum on the road and maybe somebody will go the extra distance to look for babies even if your stomach is turning inside out on you.

Equilibrium 08-12-2009 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She was so cold when I pulled her out. I stuck her inbetween my boobs. Didn't know what else to do with her so I could keep my hands on the wheel and drive. Called in to work and began the process of heating her up while calling one wildlife rehabber after the next. No flash. Her eyes can't take it.

Equilibrium 08-12-2009 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
She's young. Eyes might have opened yesterday since one is partially sealed in the corner and the other one is beginning to open. She was dehydrated. Skin was tenting. I know this is distasteful but if you find one they need to be pottied. I did her by wetting a paper towel with warm water and gently rubbing her rear end. The pee and poop will come out. I attached a photo of the pee that came out. I picked up enough supplies to carry me through until one of the five rehabbers comes through for me to take this opossum off my hands. Photo of the formula with some gerber rice flakes and a smidgen of unflavored apple sauce added and the 1cc syringe I used. These are very high maintenance. Opossums don't suckle like a skunk or raccoon. You almost have to use a syringe one or two drops at a time every hour AFTER they are heated up using a canine milk replacer. I think it's a real good idea if anyone finds one if they start dialing for a professional rehabber until they have exhausted everyone within a 100 mile radius before trying to do anything with them. These are best left to people who have the time and $$$ to care for them. Mine might not make it. She's terribly young and she was terribly cold and dehydrated and we have no wildlife vets in the area and all I could do was give her a few drops of pedialyte after she was heated up. I'm dependent on one of these wildlife rehabbers coming through for me.

Sage 08-12-2009 08:42 PM

Oh, Lib, that's so sad. Our local SPCA has a wildlife section though they can't always come to get the patient. I think they send the patients to the rehabber from there.

Good luck with the baby

biigblueyes 08-12-2009 08:55 PM

awwww. I hope she makes it.

Equilibrium 08-12-2009 09:01 PM

Still no call backs from any of the rehabbers. I know they screen their calls to avoid telling people they don't take in orphan kittens or skunks but I did spell out I had an opossum. I'm willing to drive her or have her driven to a rehabber. I've done this before with other small animals. I can't commit to the time of providing for this one. I'm in a different stage of life than I was with the others I cared for. They need to eat every hour. I took off work today... I'll take off work tomorrow... and I'll take off the following day until I can get her somewhere that will take care of her properly but I need her somewhere before next Monday. She's got a chance of making it but I need to pass her on.

havalotta 08-13-2009 12:42 AM

Poor baby.... You and her............

Stoloniferous 08-13-2009 08:15 AM

You get karma points for this, Equil.

havalotta 08-13-2009 10:16 AM

How's the baby today? So precious......

jpdenk 08-13-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 34802)
Still no call backs from any of the rehabbers. I know they screen their calls to avoid telling people they don't take in orphan kittens or skunks but I did spell out I had an opossum. I'm willing to drive her or have her driven to a rehabber. I've done this before with other small animals. I can't commit to the time of providing for this one. I'm in a different stage of life than I was with the others I cared for. They need to eat every hour. I took off work today... I'll take off work tomorrow... and I'll take off the following day until I can get her somewhere that will take care of her properly but I need her somewhere before next Monday. She's got a chance of making it but I need to pass her on.

In the past, I've seen dead mother Opossums with living babies in the pouch a couple times, one hit by a car and one hit by a train, but had no idea what to do about it. It sounds like most animal-rescue organizations would be hard-pressed to provide the necessary care for the babies. Harsh as it seems, it may be best to just let nature take its course.

It was awfully hard to leave them there, but that's what I did. I couldn't take care of them, and apparently no one else is willing or able to. Opossums are very common animals around here, maybe if they were endangered it would be different.

Still, it's incredibly troubling and sad to see.

John