Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

By by sweetie........Take care. You did real good Equill.........

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #32
Fox

Awwww. Thanks for the smile to start my day.
Very nice work, Equil.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
Fox

Practical question, but I want to drop it in here before I have to run--
We rescued a pair of young squirrels once (mom was dead, they were very cold but pretty mature, we passed them to a rehabber) and I was surprised by the huge number of fleas on them.

Did your baby have fleas, and if so what did you do? We cuddled the baby squirrels until we realized that we were reviving more than just the kits with our warmth. We transferred them to a glass aquarium on a heating pad-- and later we had to throw out the bedding and anything else they'd come into contact with. And get flea meds for our pets. And shower three times. So.... what do you do?

Also, how do you know if a sick/struck animal can be rescued or if it has rabies?
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #34
Unicellular Fungi

How precious. It is encouraging seeing efforts being made to save our indigenous species.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

They sound like they'd make terrible pets.
Worse than a raccoon, adding the chewing and time they need to roam.

I thought they'd be more like a rat and sit on you. NOT on your head. Wonder why they like to do that?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #36
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium
Just catching up after being away for a few days and read about your baby possum rescue. What a kind person you are to rescue and care for the little creature.

I learned a lot about small animal rescue from reading your posts. Thanks for all the information and photos.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

I'm going to agree with the people at the link amelanchier shared regarding keeping a wild animal as a pet. There's something wrong about it. Opossums are somewhat easier to hang onto if you had to than say a raccoon but it's still a really bad idea. There were no fleas on the thing. Fleas will drown. I've gotten in very tiny animals that were loaded. They're always at risk with that many fleas. You can find out the body temperature of the species you have and float it in water a degree or so above its normal temp and use a teflon flea comb to remove enough to ensure the well being of the animal. A finger nail can also scrape some of them off. The younger the animal... the more we shouldn't even consider using anything but water to try to drown fleas or a tweezers to pick them off individually. I've had flea parties before where I've invited friends over specifically to help me pick fleas off of preemie kittens with tweezers. Notwithstanding the common problems for animals with fleas... we need to keep them off tiny things so the tiny things don't develop flea anemia. Flea anemia can be a killer. You can't look at an animal and tell if it has rabies. For sure there are some animals that exhibit behavior that would lead us to question the health of the animal but.... do we ever really know without slicing and dicing their brains? No. If you're worried, stick to opossums or do what I try to do and pass them on to a rehabber like a hot potato. Opossums are relatively safe comparatively speaking. One thing I try to avoid is mixing the little things with my personal cats or dogs. My animals are all current on required vaccines and then some. I'm not necessarily worried about distemper and the likes as much as I'm worried about giardia or other nuisances. I started out with a heating pad that had an automatic shut off. Not good. It would shut off and not go back on for a half hour. When that happened I dragged my dog into the mud room, laid out a pad for him, stuck the thing between his back legs and took off to go buy a cheap heating pad. That's not normally a good idea to mix pets and little things but... the little thing was an opossum and couldn't afford to go without heat and that dog is safe with little things. What's funny is that dog is a 200# Great Dane and the little thing was under 3oz. I knew if the little thing moved he'd grab it with his mouth and stick it back in his bed with him or hang onto it in his mouth. Either way, the little thing would be kept warm. Dog's body temp is higher than the opossum's by a few degrees. Now about sick/struck animals... no way. I call animal control on those from my cell phone. Little things ok... sick/struck animals... not ok.

Tags
attached, disturbing, extremely, opossum, photo, rescue