Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

Here's where the thing is yawning... looks like a feeeeeeeeeeed me but it was really a yawn.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0013.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Pope

Looks like a "mama...mama."
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

The thing has been fed. Look at her cute little legs sprawled out behind her. She crashed fast. They mostly eat and sleep and sleep and eat but they have little bursts of energy here and there. Interesting factoid, mother opossums don't ever go back for their young if they fall off their backs. If you find one like this on the ground it's history unless you try to do something about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0015.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #24
Heron

Quote:
mother opossums don't ever go back for their young if they fall off their backs
I image its because the mother assumes if its not strong enough to hold on, then its not strong enough to survive.

Equil You've became attached to IT.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

I get attached to them all milkweed. It’s a big problem I have so it’s nice when I can dump them on somebody else FAST. When I was 15 I went to an animal shelter to put in an application to work. I wanted money baaaaad and… it was only a mile or so from my home so I could ride my bike or walk. My parents didn’t have a lot of money and all my friends had cool clothes and I wanted to fit in and have cool clothes too… so I lied on the application and said I was 16. I was hired… at minimum wage which was around $2.00. I was happier than a pig in you know what. They let me work after school and on weekends. My job was to clean up dog runs and cat cages and to disinfect them. This meant rolling up pee and poop papers and hosing down pee and scraping up poop. Not the greatest job in the world but it meant money for me. After I worked there for a few months they taught me how to bottle feed orphan kittens. People would come in with whole litters of kittens saying the mom never came home or that they saw it dead on the road. That first spring I started working there were more kittens coming in than veteran foster homes to take them, they let me take home a few that had their eyes open. I bottle fed them and did a pretty darn good job for a kid because none of them died. That was the beginning of me taking little things home. I will never forget all the people coming in with little animals like raccoons and birds that they had grabbed away from their cats and dogs. It was illegal for us to take in wildlife so they were passed on to vets that had licenses to handle wildlife or to one rehabber in the area if he had space. The local vets stopped taking them for free because “cats puncture and dogs crush”. What this means is that any baby animal or bird that a cat sinks its teeth into is like 99% sure to die even if it gets away or is taken away. The bacteria and viruses in a cat’s saliva and on their claws silently kills them while dogs crush them and they silently die from internal injuries. Very little chance of survival even if they look fine and there’s only a little scratch or tooth mark on them so the vets started charging. We were on a shoestring budget. We were down to only one rehabber taking them in for free sooooo… I started sneaking a few home to try… with a little bit of amoxicillin. Every one that had a scratch on it or a tooth mark died. I still tried. Others did too. You do what you can. That being said, there are plenty of people out there who looooooove cats and loooooooove dogs who foster animals. Very few who rehab wildlife comparatively speaking so if you can help any of them out with money or become one yourself… there’s a great need. Sales spiel over. These are the last photos of the Thing. Something interesting happened this last time I am feeding her before she goes. I splattered a few drops of mush on her paw accidentally. She ravenously began licking her paws. I dribbled out a little mush for her into a scoop and she went to town on it. This one is going to live to be released. She’s ready to begin being weaned.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0017.jpg   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0020.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
Pope

Your story says everything about who you are today, Equilibrium. We are lucky to have you.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #27
Heron

You're a good person Equil.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #28
WG Facilitator

You're a softie, Equilibrium. Gotta ask - I see you keep calling the little one "it". You're not gonna be able to give it away if you name it, huh?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

If you know who I am would you share it with me? My husband says he wants to know too. Of course you get attached. I stopped naming them anything other than her, him, it, thing, bunny, possum, coon, or stinker a long time ago. They're wild animals... they need to get out of my house ASAP. The hot potato has been passed to very loving and very capable hands that have the time and training to take care of her. Release on my property was discussed. They'll touch base with me later. I don't know if I want her released here. I need to think about that. I think I'd prefer a site with less coyotes.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #30
WG Facilitator

Yay - you saved the baby & got to pass her on!

Tags
attached, disturbing, extremely, opossum, photo, rescue