Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Pope

Equilibrium, what you have done--I can't find the words. But it has made me realize that I had better find out who in my area will take in animals before I need to know. I have found a website with a directory, The Wildlife Rehabilitation Information Directory

On it I found a listing for a woman who takes in animals for rehabilitation, in the tiny town next to my tiny town. I have sent her an email asking if she is still doing this sort of work, and if there is a way that I can help her. I hope that she says yes.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wonderful you are getting involved in this if you are able to.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Pope

She has moved and gone away. But I did find another organization about a two hour drive away. I am going to donate an old microwave to them so that they don't have to schlep warm milk from the house all night long.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #14

Good idea. Glad you could help them somewhat anyway. Too bad they weren't any closer to you.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

"In the past, I've seen dead mother Opossums with living babies in the pouch a couple times" I live an hour and a half north of you. I will take them if you can't find anyone or I'll show you how to keep them alive long enough to dump them on someone else. We can play pass the hot potato together. I'm much more normal in person than I am online. I don't bite... I do nibble a little. The rehabber I used to dump on moved to another state. I didn't know she was gone. The baby is hydrated well today. No more tenting. It's been a long time since I've done this. I forgot how time consuming they were. I also forgot how their activity level picks up once they're warmed up and hydrated with full bellies. That little sh!t tried to take off on me. She's quick. Ha! My hand is quicker than her and she got her claws stuck in the towel which slowed her up. Gotcha! I took a photo to give you an idea of her size. That's a double AA battery. She is going to a rehabber tomorrow morning. I enjoy sleeping at night much too much to keep up with this thing. Cuter than the dickens though since her eyes are both fully opened. The thing calls to me. It's hungry.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0002.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"In the past, I've seen dead mother Opossums with living babies in the pouch a couple times" I live an hour and a half north of you. I will take them if you can't find anyone or I'll show you how to keep them alive long enough to dump them on someone else. We can play pass the hot potato together. I'm much more normal in person than I am online. I don't bite... I do nibble a little. The rehabber I used to dump on moved to another state. I didn't know she was gone. The baby is hydrated well today. No more tenting. It's been a long time since I've done this. I forgot how time consuming they were. I also forgot how their activity level picks up once they're warmed up and hydrated with full bellies. That little sh!t tried to take off on me. She's quick. Ha! My hand is quicker than her and she got her claws stuck in the towel which slowed her up. Gotcha! I took a photo to give you an idea of her size. That's a double AA battery. She is going to a rehabber tomorrow morning. I enjoy sleeping at night much too much to keep up with this thing. Cuter than the dickens though since her eyes are both fully opened. The thing calls to me. It's hungry.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Yep, they are cute little things when they're babies. The adults are, well, less cute. Look kind of homely, actually.

Hopefully, I won't find any more orphaned Opossums, as it's very upsetting to see them clinging to their dead mother.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #17

Just wondering..............Is it legal to keep it as a pet if you can't find a home for him?
If so what are their potty habits like and what do they eat as adults?
Do they tame well?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #18
Garden Angel

When I was in highschool, me and some friends got a "job" tearing down an old barn. The farmer shot a possum that was hanging around, and later we found several young ones, much larger than that, underneath the floor.

We drove them to the humane society, but they said they'd never tame and they wouldn't take them. Luckily, a volunteer there overheard, and sent us to a rehabber, but she didn't know if they tamed; she didn't plan on keeping them past viability.

So, if you take the first lady's word on it, no. Then again, she didn't seem so interested in helping. This page indicates the rehabber's mentality,

Quote:
Our position also is that there is no such thing as a healthy pet possum.
Healthy domesticated possums can appear to be normal, but such opossums are not normal or natural and it should be questioned whether or not they are even truly healthy or domesticated.

They are CAPTIVE and most likely have, to some extent, developmental abnormalities that allow them to endure their unnatural captivity. A healthy normal opossum will not want to sit on a lap or live in a house.
People do have stranger pets, though, like my neighbor. The site above suggests checking local laws.

Good on you, Equil, for doing this. I don't know if I'd have it in me.
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

"The adults are, well, less cute. Look kind of homely, actually." jpdenk> You callin' my thing homely? "it's very upsetting to see them clinging to their dead mother." I know... I know... Here's one for you to sit on,
Illinois, Northeast region (Glendale Heights)..... 708-626-7425
Carol Wroblewski, Wildlife Guardians Carolpaws@aol.com Wildlife Species: raccoons, squirrels AND for you here is another one that has another location in Itasca that does accept opossums,
Illinois, Northeast region, Lake County (Barrington)..... 847-602-0628
Dawn Keller (Director), Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation dawn@flintcreekwildlife.org WildlifeSpecies: All birds, mammals including white tailed deer, excluding skunks, bats AND my name and phone number will be in a private message to you.
havalotta> "Just wondering..............Is it legal to keep it as a pet if you can't find a home for him?" It's not legal to keep her. Not even if I couldn't find a home for her or if she wasn't able to be rehabilitated and released to the wild. The link CincyGarden found is right in my mind. Those are really good comments you found by the way... These are wild animals not pets. The "Thing" I have will be soft released somewhere in my county as soon as possible. No reason why she couldn't be released in 6-8 weeks. The sooner the better. And now for this morning a few photos from just before when I woke up the thing to feed her. Hi Ho Hi Ho... it's off to a rehabber she'll go around 11am!!! I'll try to get a few more photos before she goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0001.jpg   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0004.jpg   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0006.jpg  
Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

The thing is going to be going going gone pretty soon so here are a few more photos. Here's where she's groggy but waking up.
Attached Thumbnails
Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0006.jpg   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0007.jpg   Extremely disturbing photo attached - opossum rescue-img_0012.jpg  

Tags
attached, disturbing, extremely, opossum, photo, rescue