Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default My homemade chipmunk feeder

This is so easy to make. If you have any old dog leashes or belts you can use those with a staple gun to anchor them to a log. The chippies can go in and gorge in peace without being harassed or eaten by stray cats.
Attached Thumbnails
My homemade chipmunk feeder-chipmunk-feeder.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Co-Administrator

A couple of small holes for additional ventilation would probably improve the design, but the most important thing is to locate it near a strawberry patch so that the chippie can complete his meal with a dessert course.
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very cute idea! What if a munkey eats so much he can't get out the hole? I too think this feeder could use vents and also be kept in the shade, but it's a terrific invention.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

That feeder only gets early morning sun so nobody will cook inside of it. How do I drill through glass? I think I'm ok since I've been using those feeders for 5 years but air holes would be better. They are little piggies. Sometimes their cheeks are so full I often wonder how it is they make it out that hole.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Thanks for the offer of your email address.... I'll post the photos for you here just in case anyone else interested wants to know the size of the opening. Here's a photo showing the size of the opening. It's about 1 11/16ths but I'm pretty sure I've used glass juice bottles that had openings of 1 3/4" and those keep out the squirrels too. What I did was I took a tape measure to the grocery store with me and bought the brands that were closest in size. I'd give you the brand names of the glass bottles I used but they change year to year so it's better to take a tape measure with you. I think most of the original chipmunk feeders were apple juices but the last ones were cranapple by a different brand. Doesn't matter what glass bottle you use as long as the opening lets in chippies and keeps out squirrels. You do have to use glass or else the squirrels will "enlarge" the opening to get inside to the "goodies". Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
My homemade chipmunk feeder-chipmunk-feeder.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Carbon

Very cute idea.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I love these chippie feeders. I get the biggest kick out of watching the chippies run in to gorge then run out to bury their stash then come back to gorge repeating this until they run out of seed. You should try one of these for yourself. If you put it outside your patio door you can watch the action while you're eating dinner. "Dinner and a show"!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
WG Facilitator

Pout. We don't get chippies down here. Lots of squirrels though. Hubby goes absolutely nuts when we're on vacation and he spots one. He'll stalk as close as he can get to see them closer, going a few steps at a time and waiting. I try not to laugh at him.

Tags
chipmunk, chipmunk feeder, chipmunk feeders, chipmunks, feeder, feeder photo, feeders, feeding wildlife, ground squirrel, homemade, homemade feeder, how to, make a chipmunk feeder, photo, wildlife