Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Spared from slaughter, bison will move to Wyoming

Spared from slaughter, bison will move to Wyoming
By Matthew Brown
Associated Press Writer
Updated: 03/28/2009 10:02:44 AM MDT

Spared from slaughter, bison will move to Wyoming - Salt Lake Tribune
excerpt from above:
Quote:
BILLINGS, Mont. A small herd of bison from Yellowstone National Park will be moved to Wyoming's Wind River Reservation next month, part of a fledgeling effort to spare some of the animals from a government-sponsored slaughter program.
The 41 bison are now in a quarantine facility in Corwin Springs, Mont., just north of the park. They are what's left of a group of 100 bison spared in 2005 and 2006 from a slaughter program meant to guard against transmissions of the disease brucellosis to domestic livestock.
Carried by many of the park's bison, brucellosis causes pregnant animals to abort their young. To prevent its spread, 1,600 bison attempting to migrate outside the park were killed in 2008. But there have been no recorded bison-to-cattle transmissions in the wild.
A second herd of bison held in Corwin Springs could be moved onto different reservations over the next two years. Representatives of the Fort Belknap and Fort Peck tribes have submitted proposals to take the animals.
The 41 bison headed to Wind River -- home of the Northern Arapahoe Tribe -- will be kept for at least a year inside a 1,000-acre enclosure on the boundary of the reservation, said Ken MacDonald with Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks.
Meanwhile, tribal officials will work to fence off an additional 30,000 acres for the bison to roam permanently.
"The goal is to get the bison out by the first of April," MacDonald said. "These are probably the most tested animals, wild or domestic, in the country."
Old 04-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
WG Facilitator

I'm glad they found a way to make this a win-win situation. Someone who wants them will take them, removing them from an area where there are too many. Sounds so simple. But I know there is tremendous expense and effort involved in safely capturing and relocating wild animals.

Maybe those of you who are overrun with deer can find someone to ship them to. Wonder what Fed Ex charges to ship deer?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I hope the Tribal Officials are able to work something out. The 1,000 acre enclosure from the Arapahoe Tribe sounds ideal for the time being. It's nice to read things like this.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Grub

"But there have been no recorded bison-to-cattle transmissions in the wild."

So . . . Why are we moving bison? Humans have a real knack for complicating things that are, at least to me, so simple.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

The ranchers are concerned about brucellosis.

Tags
bison, move, slaughter, spared, wyoming