Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Hippie Gardener

Default Yellowstone Wolf Reintroduction Anniversary

Twenty five years ago this January 12, the first wolves were carried into Yellowstone National Park after a long absence. I'm attaching a photo of my daughter, Carolyn, taken during the class she taught during "Wolf Week" at the Lamar Buffalo Ranch in Yellowstone. Wolf Week celebrated the 25th anniversary.

Since 2000, when we first started taking the family to Yellowstone for family vacations, we have had the opportunity to see wild wolves numerous times. We've seen them from the roadside and in the back country while hiking.

Wolves are still very controversial in the west...and right here in Michigan. I believe they are a valuable part of the ecosystem and hope that humans can find a way to coexist with predators.
Attached Thumbnails
Yellowstone Wolf Reintroduction Anniversary-wolfweek.jpg  
Old 01-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Grub

I have been so interested (from afar) about the wolves and their amazing impact on the landscape. This video might be a little corny, but the message is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q

I would love to see more recent studies of the inpact.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have been so interested (from afar) about the wolves and their amazing impact on the landscape. This video might be a little corny, but the message is on point.

There is no doubt that the wolves have had a far reaching impact on the ecosystem. Not everyone is pleased with the reduction in elk numbers (some tourists and hunting outfitters), but the elk were eating the park and the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem to death.

There is always going to be debate between the wolf supporters and the ranchers/outfitters, and it's difficult to find a middle ground, but the wolves are surviving and thriving.

Studies are ongoing, with wolves collared in as many packs as possible. I'm not sure where to find more recent studies....but now you've made me want to as well.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Great Horned Owl

Quote:

Informative video! I don't know why you would say it was a bit corny. I found it first rate!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
There is no doubt that the wolves have had a far reaching impact on the ecosystem. Not everyone is pleased with the reduction in elk numbers (some tourists and hunting outfitters), but the elk were eating the park and the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem to death.

There is always going to be debate between the wolf supporters and the ranchers/outfitters, and it's difficult to find a middle ground, but the wolves are surviving and thriving.

Studies are ongoing, with wolves collared in as many packs as possible. I'm not sure where to find more recent studies....but now you've made me want to as well.
Though I've never seen a wolf in the wild, seeing coyotes (Coywolves here in the East) has always been a thrill. My screen on my computer sports a picture of a black wolf and I love them for all that I've read about them. They are so intelligent and capable. Too bad so many folks can't tolerate animals that are not willing to be subservient to them...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Though I've never seen a wolf in the wild, seeing coyotes (Coywolves here in the East) has always been a thrill. My screen on my computer sports a picture of a black wolf and I love them for all that I've read about them. They are so intelligent and capable. Too bad so many folks can't tolerate animals that are not willing to be subservient to them...
Exactly, Jack. Western ranchers (who have grazing allotments on public land, by the way) just don't want to deal with wolves (or grizzlies or mountain lions). Outfitters dislike that having wolves has made guided hunts more difficult because the elk are less numerous and more cautious. I do understand that it must be very hard for ranchers to lose animals to predators, but that is just part of the cost of doing business where predators live. The benefit to the ecosystem as a whole outweighs the losses. Cattle do okay with wolves. Sheep in no way belong out west where wolves are. Sheep are just too danged stupid to live with wolves.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I love seeing coyotes and have enjoyed hearing that they are back in The Bronx. People are so afraid of lymeís disease and complain about deer browsing all their plants. And yet when you talk about coyotes, they freak out and spew nonsense of coyotes attacking people. They are so much more likely to eat mice and rabbits (reducing Lyme).

Has anyone posted anything about creating wolf or coyote habitat? Iím so curious as to how to build a shelter that would attract coyotes.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
I love seeing coyotes and have enjoyed hearing that they are back in The Bronx. People are so afraid of lymeís disease and complain about deer browsing all their plants. And yet when you talk about coyotes, they freak out and spew nonsense of coyotes attacking people. They are so much more likely to eat mice and rabbits (reducing Lyme).

Has anyone posted anything about creating wolf or coyote habitat? Iím so curious as to how to build a shelter that would attract coyotes.
Coyotes have been making their way into the Grand Rapids area as well. Every now and again there will be a "CAUTION....I've seen a coyote!" post on the neighborhood Nextdoor page. While I agree that it's a good idea to keep an eye on small pets when coyotes are around, I don't think people are in much danger. It's the same with wolves. While there have been cases, wolves are very unlikely to attack humans. I'd love to have coyotes and foxes closer to my home, but I just don't think I have enough space in my city yard. My neighbors certainly aren't going to be of any help, with their grass plantations.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Grub

There were hysterical posts on facebook recently about coyotes killing everything in sight, the list of recommendations to deter them was to basically destroy any and all types of habitat on your property.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip1909 View Post
There were hysterical posts on facebook recently about coyotes killing everything in sight, the list of recommendations to deter them was to basically destroy any and all types of habitat on your property.
GAH! This stuff makes me crazy. Like hearing that hunters actually try and kill the wolves that are wearing collars. Get to kill the wolves and thwart science in one fell swoop.

My in-laws live in the Berkshire hills of Western MA. It is lovely and rural and I get my big nature fixes there. I would love to encourage wolves and coyotes to have dens on their land.

Tags
anniversary, reintroduction, wolf, yellowstone