Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I had a flying squirrel spend the winter in one of my bluebird boxes, one with the entrance hole chewed to be wider by him or a previous resident. We really startled each other when I was going around cleaning out npmy boxes in the spring. I hadn't known we had them here in Chapel Hill.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Offical Silphium Abuser

Lucky!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
I had a flying squirrel spend the winter in one of my bluebird boxes, one with the entrance hole chewed to be wider by him or a previous resident. We really startled each other when I was going around cleaning out npmy boxes in the spring. I hadn't known we had them here in Chapel Hill.
Nice treat that day!!! I'm jealous... ha ha!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Last fall I bumped a snag and out came this little fella from a worn hole in it's uppermost.

Attachment 44750
This little youngster looked at me for the longest time thinking he was well concealed laying against the trunk so still.
It was I that made the move to leave.
Very cool!

Great shot and great story.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Good eyes and nice photo. I wish I could catch seeing one of these guys in my yard!!!
I hope you get your wish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Cool.

One of the nestboxes I set up on the edge of our "woods" had its entrance hole chewed larger too--I never did figure out what did it. Hmm... (Not likely...but I can imagine it was a flying squirrel.)

I am not sure if Pennsylvania is included in their range--I guess with a click of a mouse and several keystrokes, I could find out.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #16

Apparently there are two species: Northern flying squirrel and (a smaller) Southern flying squirrel. Both can be found in PA, but the Northern one is endangered here--and requires old growth forests (which we don't seem to have in abundance).

Quote:
CURRENT STATUS: In Pennsylvania, the northern flying squirrel is endangered, listed as a priority species in the state's Wildlife Action Plan, and protected under the Game and Wildlife Code. It is secure nationally.

POPULATION STATUS: Two species of flying squirrels are found in Pennsylvania. The rare northern flying squirrel is limited to northern conifer forests, while the smaller southern flying squirrel is wide- spread. Despite very specific habitat preferences, the northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus macrotis) was once found across Pennsylvania's northern tier. An extensive study in Pennsylvania conducted from 2003 through 2007 found only 33 northerns. Most known sites are in the Pocono region, with the exception of one in Warren County and one in Potter County.

Northern Flying Squirrel
Old 04-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #17
Grub

I took my trail cam down from the tree, but while I had it up the flying squirrel seemed to be a regular visitor. So I assume it's still around.
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Unsure if I've mentioned this or not but last Summer when we had cut down a pair of dead oaks hanging over the camp I caught the weirdest little things going in and out of view in the dark out of the corner of my eye. Reminded me of miniature creatures you see flying about in a vampire movie! After thinking about what I had just seen it dawned on me....Flying squirrels! They had probably taken up residence in the dead snags we just toppled and were now flying about landing on nearby trees in search of their lost homes....Poor little fellas.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymell View Post
I took my trail cam down from the tree, but while I had it up the flying squirrel seemed to be a regular visitor. So I assume it's still around.
Very cool.

I would imagine he is still around.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Unsure if I've mentioned this or not but last Summer when we had cut down a pair of dead oaks hanging over the camp I caught the weirdest little things going in and out of view in the dark out of the corner of my eye. Reminded me of miniature creatures you see flying about in a vampire movie! After thinking about what I had just seen it dawned on me....Flying squirrels! They had probably taken up residence in the dead snags we just toppled and were now flying about landing on nearby trees in search of their lost homes....Poor little fellas.
Or, perhaps, bats?

Tags
bird, feeders, flying, squirrel