Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
How exciting..... To find a wild cat on your very own property! WOW!
While out meandering the creek-bed flowing through our wooded property I found what I believe to be a cat print of some sort so I too feel in that excited state of mind.

I've 2 cams just sitting in a box in the garage that hubby had hauled home last year and have yet to try and figure out how to run them. Because of you, your sightings, photo captures (and my most recent tracking discovery) I want to learn how to run the new cams. I think what's been holding me off in doing so is the fact that I don't think I can view the chips in my camera.... in field. I will have to delay the pleasure if their discoveries till I can maybe....view them in a plug in digital photo frame I have.

~smile~ Your excitement is palpable, havalotta!

It is exciting for me to see the bobcat pic--I would love to have a face shot, too.

I definitely think that you should set them up. I, too, had a slow period where I didn't bother setting mine out--I had not been rewarded by anything worth sharing. Finding the right location is a big thing.

Lately, the only shots I've got are of me working in the yard! Even so, this has taught me something about the timing on that thing. I jump from a distant shot to a close-up (or worse, out of frame) even though, I recall slowing down to pose for my picture holding out my trophies (weeds mugwort and that tall yellow mullein with the fuzzy leaves)...or the cardboard I was getting ready to lay down for smothering...or the plugs I was ready to plant. Each time, I'm sure I spent a good bit of time in front of the cam...but only one or two photos were taken once activated. I'd like to change that...but I recall struggling with it before. Hope I figure it out--and find the remote for it, so I can do it!

That said, it is definitely worth it.

You make me laugh...what is wrong with a little delayed gratification!? You can wait patiently to view the pictures--anticipation is half the fun.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #22

Default Nothing Too Exciting

Nothing out of the ordinary here...but here are some game cam updates. I have moved the cam around a bit in hopes of catching shots of butterflies coming to the Asclepias tuberosa, birds coming to the blueberries, and to see if anything was checking out the digging I was doing for the pond.

No butterflies seem to have been captured by the cam, after sorting through way too many wind-activated shots, I did get 3 shots of the catbird, and apparently the deer did check out the hole I have so far for my pond. There are however, many captures of me digging the pond (and sifting out rounded rocks to use in the streambed)...I even got a shot of Jeff coming home late from Philadelphia last week--poor guy came in and said he was startled by the flash(es) and finally figured that I must've moved the game cam. (I'm glad his first thought wasn't that the paparazzi were following him. )

Game Cam Pics-imag1550-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag1551-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag1561-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag1394-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag1291-2-.jpg

Unless I missed it while searching for pics to post, perhaps the shot of the deer by the "pond" above is all I have--I recall seeing hoof prints in the mud at the bottom one day, so that is how I know they checked it out.

That said, just imagine the shots I will get once the large pond becomes a huge wildlife magnet!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #23

Default Just More Deer

After moving the cam around with less than stellar results, I think I found a better angle and a more frequented pathway. I've left the cam here in place for three days now, and pulled out the memory card each morning--it makes me realize that I'm not practicing the patience that I told havalotta to have.

Still, the first day I came up empty handed--we did have heavy rain all night, perhaps that had something to do with it.

Here are a few from last night...not great, but I thought I'd share:

Game Cam Pics-imag0004-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag0007-2-.jpg

Game Cam Pics-imag0008-2-.jpg
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #24
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
~smile~ Your excitement is palpable, havalotta!
I definitely think that you should set them up.

Lately, the only shots I've got are of me working in the yard! I recall slowing down to pose for my picture holding out my trophies (weeds mugwort and that tall yellow mullein with the fuzzy leaves)...or the cardboard I was getting ready to lay down for smothering...or the plugs I was ready to plant.
That said, it is definitely worth it.

You make me laugh...what is wrong with a little delayed gratification!?
You make me laugh as well..... slowing down to pose with your weed trophies.

The doe's looking at something...Would that be the uppermost part of your pond -stream-bed-pond?
Well in any case.... I located the cams and set them upon a stool right in front of where I drop dead tired every night if that counts for anything. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #25

Quote:
You make me laugh as well..... slowing down to pose with your weed trophies.
That's just me being me!

Quote:
The doe's looking at something...Would that be the uppermost part of your pond -stream-bed-pond?
Well in any case.... I located the cams and set them upon a stool right in front of where I drop dead tired every night if that counts for anything. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Not sure what the doe was looking at.

As for the game cams..glad you are one step closer. I just found the wired "remote" that plugs into my cam this afternoon. Now, I will just have to brin the cam in (or maybe I can just take the remote out to the cam) and see if I can improve the settings. So, I'm one step closer too.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #26

Baby steps...Found the cam chips so I will have to take a look at those before attempting to use the cam. Last time I put a chip into a cam with photos I had wanted to keep... it ended up erasing half of them before I knew what was going on.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Baby steps...Found the cam chips so I will have to take a look at those before attempting to use the cam. Last time I put a chip into a cam with photos I had wanted to keep... it ended up erasing half of them before I knew what was going on.
Aw...sorry that you lost so many pics.

Keep taking those baby steps.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #28

Game Cam Pics-20160803_093446.jpg

I found the remote for my game cam. I was able to fix the time and date! Yay! (Normally, I crop that out anyway...but still.)

And I *think* I changed the interval to 0 seconds...which I *think* means that it will take more shots once activated by motion. Time will tell.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #29

YEY!
Ahem doesn't zero mean ahhhhh nothing as in no photos .

Now I'm filled with picturing you doing a lil dance in front of it there Dap. Put the toga on. That... will make your little jig even more memorable.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #30

I *hope* zero means it doesn't reset/delay the motion detector, and I end up with more photos of any critters crossing it's path. --since I changed the settings, I really should check the memory card...I've tried putting off looking, but I really shold see if it is better or worse with the new settings.

Oh, and, I don't dance...can't do a jig...but the toga comment made me laugh and brought back a memory that I had forgotten!

Tags
cam, game, pics