Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I was sprayed by one as a youngster. Picked up the cutest little thang. You've heard the phrase little stinker...Well it sure was. Threw the clothes away and soaked my snakeskin belt and snakeskin watch in tomato juice for days but I could still smell it. I wore them both anyway being my favorite accessories at the time.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I was sprayed by one as a youngster. Picked up the cutest little thang. You've heard the phrase little stinker...Well it sure was. Threw the clothes away and soaked my snakeskin belt and snakeskin watch in tomato juice for days but I could still smell it. I wore them both anyway being my favorite accessories at the time.
And you lived to write about it.

What was the initial experience like? Eyes watering? Wrenching?

I'm just trying to get an idea what an animal (with no access to tomato juice would do). The faint odor of a skunk doesn't really bother me much (while driving past it anyway), but stronger, freshly sprayed is much more unpleasant--having it make contact with skin makes me wonder how bad it would be--hope I never find out.

I like the idea of a skunk passing through our property not viewing me as a threat...but, aside from that brief encounter several years ago, I've not seen one since.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #13
Grub

dapjwy,

Thank you for the advice. For some reason I wasn’t getting emails alerts although I’m subscribed to this thread so I sent the little bit I found which said that citrus aromas will repel them to my friend. I’ll let him know your answer too.

Everyone,
Thanks for the interesting stories. I’ll also mention that my friend said tomato juice didn’t work for him and that somebody recommended tree tea oil for removing the aroma.

This came up in conversation when I told what for me is big news (at least until I see evidence of their hunting) that we have a fox that at least passes through our property. My husband and I both caught a quick glimpse around twilight one evening. My husband told me that one night after midnight he and the fox were walking towards each other and ended up about 4 feet apart from each other. My husband moved to one side and the fox went on her or his way.

Lori
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
dapjwy,

Thank you for the advice. For some reason I wasnít getting emails alerts although Iím subscribed to this thread so I sent the little bit I found which said that citrus aromas will repel them to my friend. Iíll let him know your answer too.

Everyone,
Thanks for the interesting stories. Iíll also mention that my friend said tomato juice didnít work for him and that somebody recommended tree tea oil for removing the aroma.

This came up in conversation when I told what for me is big news (at least until I see evidence of their hunting) that we have a fox that at least passes through our property. My husband and I both caught a quick glimpse around twilight one evening. My husband told me that one night after midnight he and the fox were walking towards each other and ended up about 4 feet apart from each other. My husband moved to one side and the fox went on her or his way.

Lori
No problem, Lori. I'm glad I heard that story, so I could pass it on.

I would be thrilled to see a fox here..but, likely not the signs of their hunting.

What an amazing encounter your husband had. I think it would be thrilling, but I expect my heart would be racing like when I encountered the bear. Just like that, I wouldn't expect it to attack, but I'd know, being wild, anything could happen.

Sorry you didn't get an alert, but glad you checked back.

Hope to see you around more.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Grub

My husband says he wasn't afraid. Foxes are relatively small and the location where they encountered each other allowed both of them to safely get away. If the fox got scared he or she could have made a right turn to avoid my husband or turn around and go back to where it had been.

My husband says he doesn't think he would not be afraid of a bear which has me a bit concerned. I'm in a suburb so if they come around here they're probably a little too used to people.

Before we started closing our trash cans with bungee cord type of gadgets I'm pretty sure the evidence of foraging we saw was from bears sometime. They're incredible but partly for their sake I don't want them near here. Too often it doesn't end up going well for wildlife near people.

I am hoping to catch another glimpse of the fox though.

I'll try to at least make more time for lurking if not posting. There are interesting posts.
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
And you lived to write about it.

What was the initial experience like? Eyes watering? Wrenching?
The faint odor of a skunk doesn't really bother me much (while driving past it anyway), but stronger, freshly sprayed is much more unpleasant--having it make contact with skin makes me wonder how bad it would be--hope I never find out.
It wasn't all that bad..I wasn't sprayed in the face. No wrenching. Not much different or stronger smelling than one you'd pass by laying on the road with the car actually.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by loris View Post
My husband says he wasn't afraid. Foxes are relatively small and the location where they encountered each other allowed both of them to safely get away. If the fox got scared he or she could have made a right turn to avoid my husband or turn around and go back to where it had been.

My husband says he doesn't think he would not be afraid of a bear which has me a bit concerned. I'm in a suburb so if they come around here they're probably a little too used to people.

Before we started closing our trash cans with bungee cord type of gadgets I'm pretty sure the evidence of foraging we saw was from bears sometime. They're incredible but partly for their sake I don't want them near here. Too often it doesn't end up going well for wildlife near people.

I am hoping to catch another glimpse of the fox though.

I'll try to at least make more time for lurking if not posting. There are interesting posts.
I would love to have a similar encounter with a fox.

Already had my bear encounter and will be fine if I never repeat it...but, if I do, I hope it goes as well as the first.

Yes, I agree with you regarding wildlife in suburban areas not always going so well for the wildlife.

A student in art class today had two photos of a fox picked out for here project. Beautiful creatures!

I hope you and I both get a glimpse (or more) of a fox or two (or a whole family--a guy can dream, can't he?).

Tags
discourage, involved, safe, skunks