Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   North American Wildlife (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/)
-   -   Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014 (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/north-american-wildlife/12314-today-i-saw-critters-other-than-bugs-birds-2014-a.html)

Cirsium 01-22-2014 01:35 PM

Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014

Tell us about and show us the wildlife that your encountered today. :)

linrose 01-22-2014 01:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I wondered what that gibberish was on first posting. Glad to see that now it's sorted out.

OK, so here are my song sparrows again to start the 2014 thread. They were eating the broomsedge and little bluestem seeds in the field.

linrose 01-22-2014 02:03 PM

Doh! I just saw the (critters other than bugs and birds) tag. Sorry! Well if it's any consolation Jason saw a coyote this morning trotting up the neighbors path through the woods. I missed it but did get to see the two foxes last week. There was a pretty well picked deer leg up on the high field path last week, hopefully the coyote or foxes dragged it off to the woods to finish it off. We never did find the rest of the deer.

havalotta 01-22-2014 07:57 PM

Don't feel bad. I just noticed I had put a FOX comment into the bird thread.
I thought I was going bonkers seeing things in double and triplicate until I noticed they just created TWO separate "Today I saw" threads....
One for the birds AND one for the critters of 2014 and then there's also....the PAST "Today I saw" thread.

EllenW 01-22-2014 08:34 PM

well anyway linrose I love your third photo

Rebek56 01-23-2014 07:28 PM

Love them all! Linrose, you've inspired me to spread our little bluestem even more than it spreads itself--AND I now know that we're getting song sparrows.

Rebek56 01-23-2014 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does a deer poop in the yard?

dapjwy 01-23-2014 10:00 PM

Linrose! I did reply somewhere to that photo--after realizing the thread where I first saw it was closed.

Beautiful...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebek56 (Post 143314)
Love them all! Linrose, you've inspired me to spread our little bluestem even more than it spreads itself--AND I now know that we're getting song sparrows.

...that was pretty much my response (that I needed to get mine established...I did winter sow some locally collected seed...and gathered more this year, so hopefully I'll soon have my own patch started. Then, I'll spread it all over! :) )

dapjwy 01-23-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebek56 (Post 143315)
Does a deer poop in the yard?

I know they do in my yard! ...but I've only seen the evidence left behind.

...I've ever seen a bear $#!+ in my woods...but if I ever do...and if I am brave enough to take a picture, believe me, I'll post it!

Rebek56 01-23-2014 11:35 PM

Our little bluestem seems to want to plop itself just about everywhere in the yard. If we weren't trying to be semi-civilized for the neighbors, in a couple of years, our sunny areas could be pretty much covered by little bluestem, a variety of asters, goldenrod, black-eyed susan, blue-eyed grass, and obedient plant. (Actually, this combination doesn't sound too bad.)