Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #61
Alternate POM Judge

Now I know what playing possum means. Yesterday afternoon we had a bad storm coming. The barn cats must have been afraid and hiding. They did not come to get their food. I left some out for them. This morning there was a possum near their food bowls. It did not move while I gave the cats breakfast. It did look dead but it was breathing. I don't see how that is a very good survival technique. Maybe other animals do think they are dead if they don't move. I waited for the cats to eat and then put their food away. I didn't know if the possum would chase them away from their food. No more barn cats when these old cats go. I'll stick with indoor cats.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #62
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I've never seen a possum "play possum" before! They do like cat food though, that's for sure. I put our cat out to eat for a few minutes in the morning and again in the evening and bring the bowl in after. When I forget to do that the possums finish it off.

There was a big old turkey walking around the backyard yesterday, he was alone. The groups haven't started forming yet I suppose. Sometimes a male is a loner, maybe he got kicked out of the group. We call them "Norwegian bachelor farmers" after A Prairie Home Companion radio show.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #63
Alternate POM Judge

I would love to see wild turkeys. I have seen them once near my property. I have heard them in various parks. They really sound cool.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #64

Fantastic Mr. Fox is living very close by. This morning he was investigating a pile of logs that we stacked behind the fence in the backyard. He was sniffing and digging on top of the pile. There must be mice or other critters living in that pile, it's been there for years. I haven't found his den yet though.
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-fox.jpg   Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-fox2.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #65
Alternate POM Judge

how nice linrose
Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #66
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Last night I opened my front door and disturbed a fox who was rummaging around under my bird feeder. I don't know if he was looking for seed or for mice who were looking for seed. He looked sleek and healthy, though. It is the first I have seen since the one on my game cam two years ago.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #67

I get really excited about seeing the fox, they are such stealthy creatures and usually stay far away from humans. They are facinating to watch if you are lucky enough to see one. This one may have a den in a cave behind our neighbor's house.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #68
Carbon

worm

It was a banner day for my Florida homestead! We were 'investigated' by a nosy pair of Carolina wrens, who came right in one open door, hopped around checking things out, then exited by another door, making comments all the way
Then we caught our resident black racer doing his impression of a periscope in a patch of tall grass before speeding away under the house - he is a sort of unofficial, and very welcome - mascot of our under-house space. The picture is a screen-print from a video my friend shot through the window

Finally, after having gone visiting the neighbors for a couple days, Herbert - our resident gopher tortoise - made a re-appearance in one of his regular burow entrances, then rumbled out of sight again
Attached Thumbnails
Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-black-racer.jpg  

Last edited by slywlf; 04-23-2014 at 10:20 PM. Reason: add picture
slywlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #69
Heron

Hey everyone it's been awhile but I'm still around. Had to share these pics of a coyote that visited the backyard today.
Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-p1040880.jpg

Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-p1040882.jpg

Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-p1040883.jpg
Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #70
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Kewl...Snakes and coyotes!

I have been Ahem...camping out, Well not really camping out but I have been away stocking a new camp now that it's ready.
I've been eagerly looking for a speck or some sign of wildlife all Winter long as we've been remodeling it. Not a hair, nor a feather!

The last of the snow has "finally" disappeared. Whoop whoop!
A couple of days ago I set out a few feeders and whalla! Birds...All sorts of birds, birds, birds, grey, red and fox squirrels and even a few woodpeckers. The very next day, a trio of deer walked on by. Yesterday a pair of ducks, One a female hooded mergansers the other...I don't know what kind of duck it was but Boy oh boy were they ever having the time of their lives playing, diving and sloshing about with one another. I have NEVER seen ducks having so much fun in all my life.
It was like watching the toy-full antics of a pair of otters only it was ducks!

Today a set of hen turkeys scritched and scratched their way through the soggy rain laden grass. Later, a very large, low flying hawk....
OH NO...POOKIE! Very fortunate that I was paying attention and quickly snapped up our teeny pooch before it came in for her.
NO MORE LITTLE DOGGIES, I like the outdoors way too much to be protecting any more itty bitties.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, birds, bugs, critters, today