Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I've got to pull myself away from my Unread Posts...and start painting this room (whatever I should call it). Actually, I have to tape off the trim first.

For years, I've had a color in mind for the walls--kind of like the color of hot tea, or parchment paper, or little bluestem in the winter. We actually found a color--and both agreed on it!!! We picked something called "peanut butter" and the woman who was going to mix it for us said it was very popular...then corrected herself and said "pumpkin butter" was the one that was selling so well. Her co-worker raved about it saying she had mixed it so much and always loved it, so she painted her room in it. The two colors were very close, but I decided to buy samples and paint a spot of both at home. Jeff surprised me by picking the same one I liked best--pumpkin butter (not as dark as the real thing...which I'm starting to crave now and will have to look for it in a store).

Okay, obviously, after righting that mini-novel, it is clear that I'm procrastinating. By for now. Gotta paint.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #42
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cool. Too bad about the camera. At least you witnessed it.
It's disappointing I wasn't fast enough because 5 minutes earlier there were 3 very cold looking wild turkeys in a field next to the road I pulled up to within 6 feet of them watched them for a few minutes which made my boys very excited and then drove off without taking a pic with the camera right next to me!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #43
Heron

Quote:
I've got to pull myself away from my Unread Posts...and start painting this room (whatever I should call it). Actually, I have to tape off the trim first.

Okay, obviously, after righting that mini-novel, it is clear that I'm procrastinating. By for now. Gotta paint.
How did the paint job turn out?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
It's disappointing I wasn't fast enough because 5 minutes earlier there were 3 very cold looking wild turkeys in a field next to the road I pulled up to within 6 feet of them watched them for a few minutes which made my boys very excited and then drove off without taking a pic with the camera right next to me!
Aw. I feel your pain. Knowing you had access to the camera and all. At the same time, when I miss a photo opportunity, I try to just be grateful I had the encounter.

Although...I must say, it was amazing for me to have the camera in hand when I spotted that bear in the path ahead of me. Not great shots, but I felt like I needed proof that it happened. If I'd not had the camera or failed to get a shot, I wonder how well I'd have taken it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
How did the paint job turn out?
Far from finished, but I patched some nail holes (from previous owner), taped the trim (only in the section I started, not the entire room yet), and painted two small walls that make a corner between a door and window. It is a good start--I needed to wait for the spackle to dry anyway...I didn't expect to do the whole room. Now we are trying to adjust to the new color. It is more rich than the color the room was when we bought it (not a bad color...close to what I'd have picked out, but a there was a pink tinge to the tan in a certain light and that always bothered me). For the most part we like it...but it seems a tad on the orange side (in a certain light). LOL...we'll see what tomorrow brings. I think we just need to get used to it.

Speaking of tomorrow, they are calling for 3-5 inches in the early morning hours, stopping between 10:00 and 1:00. I'm thinking a delay, but school could be closed again--making this a 6-day weekend for me. ...and giving me a chance to paint the whole room before next weekend! (But I'm getting ahead of myself. ...and Jeff is asking if we still have the "peanut butter" sample--we do--but I don't wanna have to change colors again! "Peanut butter" is nearly the same color just a hint more neutral--I bet mixing the two colors together would be perfect...but that's not gonna happen.)

...aged, I bet you wished you didn't ask!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #46

Quote:
...aged, I bet you wished you didn't ask!
Hmmm...do you think they could color match some dried little bluestem?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #47
Heron

SQUIRRELS!!!
Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-p1040653.jpg
I looked outside and saw 4 little bushy tails enjoying the buffet up till now having one squirrel visit the feeder was some what of a rarity. No sooner than I took that picture I walked back over to the window and there where 9 of those little buggers out there! I guess the secret is out! So I sent the dog out to break up the party Don't worry she is to old and fat to catch a limb chicken.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #48

I saw one...and then saw two today. So far that is it...
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #49
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

There was a possum in my daughter's horse's stall last night, gave Lyn quite a shock. And we saw the cutest skunk at dusk in the same area. It must be spring, the critters are coming out to play!

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
There was a possum in my daughter's horse's stall last night, gave Lyn quite a shock. And we saw the cutest skunk at dusk in the same area. It must be spring, the critters are coming out to play!
I've seen possum tracks around here. I think seeing a skunk would make me think spring too. March is right around the corner.

Tags
2014, birds, bugs, critters, today