Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Our little bluestem seems to want to plop itself just about everywhere in the yard. If we weren't trying to be semi-civilized for the neighbors, in a couple of years, our sunny areas could be pretty much covered by little bluestem, a variety of asters, goldenrod, black-eyed susan, blue-eyed grass, and obedient plant. (Actually, this combination doesn't sound too bad.)

I'm hoping to get a meadow full of little bluestem--and a variety of wildflowers (including the asters and goldenrod)...I guess if it starts showing up in the vegetable garden or something, I can move it where I want it...or share it with others. I would think mowing the paths would keep it from establishing itself there.

...Wouldn't it be great if it would repopulate the natural areas around my county. Considering I collected some seed from a small patch (the only one I've found around here) of locally grown little bluestem, it would even be local ecotype!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
Offical Silphium Abuser

Dap, in our part of West Virginia, little bluestem seems to materialize in every vacant lot, so I'm thinking we have a persistent local ecotype.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Dap, in our part of West Virginia, little bluestem seems to materialize in every vacant lot, so I'm thinking we have a persistent local ecotype.
It is good to hear that you have such a strong population--I'm happy to hear it is a native that is repopulating vacant lots. Before so many things got out of whack, native plants would be what would naturally re-establish bare soil. I'd love to get back to that...or, more realistically, at least get to the point where the natives get a fighting chance.

Nice to know you have a local ecotype.

I can't wait to have our field graced by the beauty of little bluestem--and the wildlife it attracts.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
Fox

pawprint A half dozen of these guys went by today

Wild Turkeys!Today I Saw (Critters other than bugs and birds) ~ 2014-more-turkeys-002.jpg

ww
Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm finding them to be quite content to just sit alongside the road other than running their tails off trying to find the quickest route back into the sheltering woods like they normally do. The cold must be getting to them.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
Wild Turkeys!Attachment 40101

ww
You are a lucky man, ww. I would like to have recurring sightings of turkey's here. I've seen one once or twice in our six years here--I'm shocked to realize we've been here that long...seems like 4...5 tops!

A couple of years ago, I startled a turkey (and it startled me) when I came around a bend in one of my paths. It was thrilling for me, and I'd hoped to see more of them. I don't think I've seen one since; my guess is I scared it so badly that it never returned, told all of its friend, and shared the story with his children and grand children. My only hope is to restore the land fully with natives until the temptation is too great and the turkeys return. ~smile~
Old 02-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
Fox

haaha funny that turkey telling all his friends about the great dapjwy! Hey dapjwy you probably couldn't tell from the pix, but those turkeys were just on the other side of what is left of my huge compost pile (there is a tater fork handle sticking up in the snow)~~~~anyway, I went out there last night and cleared the snow from the pile and spread the stuff around, making the stark dark browns highly contrast to the snow. But perhaps more importantly for the turkeys and others out there.....with the snow & ice now cleared away, the critters have a place they can dig around just for fun, or for something to eat.

ww
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
Alternate POM Judge

That sounds wonderful rebek! Do what you want with your property rebek. I have found that there are some neighbors that complain no matter what. Put up a wildlife habitat sign.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Today I saw . . . a possum eating the cat food just outside the French doors in the sunroom at 4 AM. I had just put the cat and her food out, walked away for 5 minutes to get a cup of coffee and there he was, he almost finished the bowl! He didn't seem afraid of me at all. If I was more awake I would have grabbed my camera. I had to knock on the window and open and close the door a few times before he took the hint. He was about the same size as my cat. I try to pick up the food bowl as soon as she's done eating but sometimes I forget and I think Possumtrot (and most of the local dogs and cats) knows where to get a free meal! The birds like the cat food too, especially the blue jays and titmice. Normally I feed her during daylight hours but I've had insomnia lately and she's always at my feet as soon as I come downstairs to the kitchen meowling for food.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #20
Alternate POM Judge

Oh Linrose, You reminded me of a horrible memory. Someone told me his girlfriend asked him to shoot a possum that was eating the cat food. The gun didn't go off so she wants him to beat it with the gun. What is wrong with people? Here you are wanting to take its picture. That is definitely the right response! I have barn cats and lots of wild animals eat the cat food. I put the cat food out twice a day when I'm taking care of the horses. Then I put the food away. That's what this person needs to be doing! I had a mama possum raise her babies in my barn one time. Those babies were so cute. I love possums.

Tags
2014, birds, bugs, critters, today