Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > North American Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

While walking a wooded country road a couple of years ago, a woman told me to be careful because they hadon't seen cougars in the area (or her neighbor had seen one; I can't remember).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #12

Not the same thing, I know, but my game cam has picked up a bobcat going through our yard...as I was looking through a week of pics, I had to wonder how I would feel if I spotted a cougar on the trail cam. (thrilled, I'm sure...but probably a bit fearful too...although, I imaging cougars are secretive and afraid of humans.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Not the same thing, I know, but my game cam has picked up a bobcat going through our yard...as I was looking through a week of pics, I had to wonder how I would feel if I spotted a cougar on the trail cam. (thrilled, I'm sure...but probably a bit fearful too...although, I imaging cougars are secretive and afraid of humans.
Dap, this article tells us when cougars are most dangerous. Would you be surprised if our own destructive activities make them more likely to attack cats, dogs and humans? That's is the case: read on---
Cougar in Bend did not need to be killed | The Wildlife News

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Dap, this article tells us when cougars are most dangerous. Would you be surprised if our own destructive activities make them more likely to attack cats, dogs and humans? That's is the case: read on---
Cougar in Bend did not need to be killed | The Wildlife News
Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
Great Horned Owl

beaver Cougars more social than previously thought

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/s...n%2Ftrilobites

"Based on the feeding visits, the researchers were able to map complex social networks of puma reciprocity. This typically consisted of a single male and multiple females. Though the animals were rarely caught interacting on film outside of eating together, the researchers believe they were also sharing land and water sources, and the networks helped determine which pumas would mate with each other. Male pumas may also have been providing protection for females with kittens."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #16

Jack, thank you for posting that.

Last week on NPR, I heard about their sharing kills and not being as solitary as once believed.

Tags
cougar